For the second time in three seasons, Penn finds itself in an enviable position -- defending Ivy League champions. In 1999, the Quakers managed a third-place finish in their defense of the Ivy title, but this season Penn might just have the tools to make back-to-back titles a very real possibility.

The senior-laden squad returns an impressive 18-of-22 starters from last year's 6-1 Ivy League and 7-3 overall team. With 16 seniors in the starting lineup, the Red and Blue definitely have the talent and experience to keep the Ivy crown in West Philly. Here are the Quakers to look for in the upcoming season:

Quarterbacks:

In his two seasons since transferring from Northwestern, Gavin Hoffman has shattered all of Penn's major single game and career passing records.

The senior preseason All-American will likely add to his list of accolades this season. Last year, the Ivy League MVP lit up defenses for 3,214 yards and 24 touchdowns, both Penn records. Hoffman attempted and completed more passes last season than any previous Penn quarterback as the Quakers established themselves as the top passing team in Division I-AA.

Waiting in the wings is junior Mike Mitchell, who completed 15-of-23 passes with one touchdown in relief of Hoffman last season. Freshman Jack Phillips has come on strong in the preseason and could factor into Penn's future signal-calling plans.

Offensive Line:

The Penn offense will open the season with the luxury of an experienced and strong backbone in the form of a line that returns all of last season's starters. The intact unit is a rarity, made even more rare by the fact that it was a large part of the Quakers' prolific offense in the 2000 season.

The linchpin of the unit will be junior center Matt Dukes, who was named the team's Outstanding Offensive Lineman in 2000 and earned second-team All-Ivy honors.

Protecting Hoffman's blindside will be 6'2", 275-pound senior John Zepeda, an honorable mention All-Ivy selection at left tackle. His counterpart is right tackle Jeff Hatch, who last season switched over from the defensive line to give Penn a 6'7", 305-pound road-grader.

On the inside at guard, the Quakers have a pair of seniors in Randy Parker and Sam Gottesman, who both weigh in at over 260 pounds and are versatile cogs in the team's passing and rushing attacks.

Tailbacks:

An injury-plagued 2000 season didn't stop six-foot, 235-pound senior tailback Kris Ryan from being named to his second All-Ivy team. Ryan fought through the injuries to compile 662 yards and eight touchdowns on only 129 carries, following his Ivy-leading 1,197 yards in 1999.

Ryan is within striking distance of the Quakers rushing record, needing 1,260 yards to run to the top of the Penn record books.

Backing up Ryan will be junior Todd Okolovitch, who ranked third on the team in rushing last season with 233 yards.

Sophomore Jake Perskie and freshman Dondi Darby could also be factors in Penn's running plans.

Fullbacks:

Senior Adam Keslosky claimed the fullback job last season and returns as this year's starter. Keslosky received few touches, with nine carries and nine receptions, but made the most of his opportunities by averaging 8.7 yards per catch with a touchdown.

The six-foot, 225-pound fullback was invaluable as a blocker, as evidenced by his selection as the Most Improved Quaker in 2000.

Competing for time as reserves will be sophomores Michael Kapusta and Mike Faust.

Wide Receivers:

The Quakers had the No. 1 passing attack in Division I-AA last year, and Hoffman wasn't alone in setting records through the air.

Senior Rob Milanese was on the receiving end of 76 passes for 936 yards, both Penn records. He also found the end zone six times, and a comparable 2001 season would make him Penn's career receiving yardage leader.

Milanese leads a deep and experienced squad that will include 6'2" senior Colin Smith, a big target who hauled in 32 passes for 450 yards.

Sophomores Joe Phillips and Jonathan Robinson each have experience at receiver and will see plenty of time in multiple-receiver offensive sets. Seniors John Holahan and former quarterback Erik Bolinder will also be part of Penn's potent passing attack.

Tight Ends:

The competition for playing time is wide open after Ben Zagorski's graduation. Zagorski was the Red and Blue's third-leading receiver last season, and his absence leaves little experience at the position for the Quakers.

The front runners in the competition will be junior Matt Michaleski, who has three receptions over the past two seasons, and sophomore Kevin Burns. Also in the mix is junior Brian Adams, the biggest of the trio, who successfully made the transition to offense from the defensive line.

Defensive Line:

The only brother tandem in Penn history to be named All-Ivy will return to anchor the defensive line this season. Ed and John Galan terrorized opposing offenses, as Ed registered 51 tackles and John racked up six sacks and 13 tackles for loss.

Joining the tandem in the middle will be senior Steve Moroney, a 6'2", 255-pound force who was named as a team captain.

Also in the mix for playing time on the line will be sophomore Ryan Strahlendorff. The 270-pound nose guard is the heaviest weapon the Quakers have on defense and will be counted on to stuff the run.

Manning the outside for the Red and Blue will be three experienced defensive ends.

Chris Pennington was named honorable mention All-Ivy as a sophomore last season after playing his way into the starting lineup and recording 6.5 sacks.

Kevin Martin, a senior, recorded 25 tackles and 3.5 sacks last season after missing the 1999 season with an ankle injury.

Senior end Brian Person started every game in 1998 and notched 4.5 sacks. Injuries, however, have cost him 14 games the past two seasons and he will return for a fifth season.

Linebackers:

The linebacking corps will be patrolled for a second year by the duo of Dan Morris and Travis Belden, who combine to give the Quakers a fearsome and experienced unit that is one of the best in the Ivies.

Morris, a senior who will be in his second season as a captain, was second on the team in tackles in 1999 and 2000, and was honorable mention All-Ivy last season.

Belden followed up a solid freshman campaign with a brilliant 2000 season, earning the Quakers' defensive MVP award and making second team All-Ivy. He led Penn with 80 tackles while contributing 3.5 sacks and an interception.

The Quakers' other experienced linebackers include junior Steve Lhotak, who had a solid sophomore year with 25 tackles and an interception, and senior Brian Drake, who missed all but four games with an injury.

Secondary:

The Quakers' defensive backfield was the unit hit hardest by graduation. Penn will have to replace two starters in the secondary -- Hasani White and Joey Alofaituli. But returning senior starters Stephen Faulk and Kunle Williams will ease the transition for the Quakers.

Faulk's partners at cornerback will be junior Fred Plaza, who netted three interceptions last year, and sophomore Rudy Brown.

Williams will line up at safety opposite three other experienced defensive backs -- senior D.L. Bouldrick, junior Vince Alexander and sophomore Kevin Stefanski.

Special Teams:

The kicking game was dealt a huge blow by the graduation of all-time scoring leader Jason Feinberg. Freshman placekicker Bryan Arguello's strong preseason has thrust him to the front of the competition to replace Feinberg. Junior Roman Galas will handle kickoffs and may see some field goal attempts, especially from long distance.

Providing stability will be senior punter Ryan Lazzeri, who averaged 34.9 yards per punt last year.

Electrifying defensive back Faulk will be counted on to return kicks this year after compiling 523 return yards on kickoffs in 2000. Plaza and Phillips will also see time returning.