John Salvucci (left) hugs Joe Klein after Klein scored Penn's lone goal against La Salle yesterday afternoon. [Will Burhop/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

Last Thursday, the Penn men's soccer team knocked off the nation's 11th-ranked squad, Seton Hall.

After losing the opening two matches of the season, the Red and Blue's victory over the Pirates should have been a confidence booster.

It could have been a precursor for greater success down the road.

It may have been only an aberration.

As the Quakers(1-2-1) fell back down to Earth yesterday, the heroics ceased and a 1-1 tie at La Salle (1-3-1) was the disheartening result.

Building on last week's win, the Quakers offense got going right from the opening kickoff, unleashing a barrage of shots on opposing Explorers goalkeeper, Stash Graham.

Freshman Joe Klein's unassisted goal at 37:15 came as a result of the Red and Blue's offensive pressure.

With a 1-0 lead, the Quakers kept up the pressure for the remainder of the half, continuing to fire shots on Graham, finishing the half with a 7-2 advantage in shots on goal.

Despite their dominance on the offensive side of the ball, however, Penn headed into the locker room up only one goal.

"We really outplayed them in the first half," Klein said. We had so many chances. We just should've scored more."

As the Red and Blue continued to control the ball in the early moments of the second half, it looked as if it was only a matter of time before the offensive onslaught began.

However, the Quakers still could not find the back of the net.

"La Salle was ready to fall," Klein said. "We just couldn't convert our scoring chances."

Unable to add an insurance goal, Penn allowed its narrow margin to slip away in the 68th minute of the second half.

Stringing a series of passes together, Explorers seniors Lou Daniele and Bobby Custer combined to set up forward Bobby Buonocristiano for the equalizer.

Goal-scoring chances continued to mount for the Quakers, but the Red and Blue were unable to regain the lead.

"We had plenty of shots that just went over the bar, or just went wide," Klein said.

Penn and La Salle remained tied at one as regulation play ended.

Pitted in its second overtime contest in its first four matches -- the Red and Blue fell 3-2 to Lehigh in double overtime on Sept. 9 -- Penn looked to capture its first OT victory.

Despite ample opportunity in the extra frame, the Quakers were still unable to notch the game-winning goal, and the game ended in a tie.

After controlling the ball for the majority of the game and bludgeoning the Explorers by a decisive 19-9 shot margin, the Quakers were disappointed by the result.

"We can dominate a game with ball possession. And we can outshoot our opponent, as well," Klein said. "But, we also have to score.

"And, today, we just didn't."