Close to 100 people gathered at Houston Hall last night for Penn's annual "Take Back the Night" event, which supports the fight against sexual violence. In the middle of the event, attendees marched down Locust Walk, chanting slogans symbolic of their emp

Despite a day of rain, men and women marched and chanted together last night to show their support for the fight against sexual violence. The annual "Take Back the Night" rally drew nearly 100 students and other members of the Penn and Philadelphia communities to the Hall of Flags in Houston Hall last night. Students also marched through campus and chanted against violence. Along with singing performances by Penn's female a capella group Quaker Notes, professionals familiar with sexual violence -- such as rape or acquaintance rape -- and victims of sexual aggression shared their experiences and views. "We are here to end the violence," Penn Feminists co-chairwoman and College junior Ellie Lobovits said at the start of the rally. "We are here to take back the night." University Special Services Director Patricia Brennan made sure to distinguish her office from the University Police Department, which are housed in the same facility at 4040 Chestnut Street. "When you come to our office, you are not reporting a crime to the police department," Brennan said. Brennan finished her remarks by emphasizing that even if crimes are not always reported, many are still occurring. "Let's start reporting our real statistics and stop hiding behind [the false statistics]," she said. Penn Women's Center Director Elena DiLapi discussed the importance of a 1973 sit-in at College Hall, which demanded increased security on campus, especially for women. "In doing so, Penn was really put on the map as a national leader," DiLapi said. "Women walk through much of their lives in danger and on top of that, we believe it's our fault," she added. Laughter and loud responses were then elicited when psychologist and sexual abuse specialist Karen Smith of Philadelphia's Renfrew Center asked attendees to practice saying the words "yes" and "no" in assertive ways. "'Yes' and 'no' are the basis of all social interaction," Smith said. Those in attendance spoke reacted positively to "Take Back the Night." "It can change things in a lot of ways," Germantown resident John Landis said. "You cannot just wink your eye at things this bad." The rally drew to a close after the campus march in the rain -- complete with megaphone and a speak-out by those affected by sexual violence -- ended back at Houston Hall. "The definition of rape is not totally... digested," College sophomore Rya Conrad-Bradshaw said. Jane Jolis, a College sophomore, praised the women who spoke about their experiences with sexual violence. "I came to listen to these women speak because I think they have immense courage," Jolis said. Lobovits said she thought "Take Back the Night" was especially important for freshmen who may not be that familiar with the problem of sexual violence on campus and with Penn's resources which aim to prevent it. She also highlighted the need for increased involvement at the upper levels of the University. "This has never really been directly addressed by the administration," Lobovits said. "I think Penn should take a more active role."