Penn students and members of the West Philadelphia community protest against a new McDonald's, which broke ground last Saturday at 43rd and Market streets.<br> (Kiki Soguel/The Daily Pennsylvanian)

Nearly 50 protesters defied Philadelphia Police and obstructed several blocks of traffic along Chestnut Street yesterday afternoon, marching against the construction of a new McDonald's. The crowd, mostly local residents, gathered at 43rd and Market streets -- the proposed future site of a McDonald's restaurant -- to protest the demolition of the site's existing building and the Penn-related corporate interest they say is driving it. "We're going to let them know that they can't get away with this," said area resident and 1973 College graduate Richard Rogers. "The days of passivity are over." A group of community members have been fighting against the McDonald's construction plan since its inception months ago, claiming the restaurant will cause traffic and trash problems along the largely residential Market Street. And yesterday afternoon, the throng marched five blocks -- including three right down the center of Chestnut Street -- to the existing McDonald's at 40th and Walnut streets to continue the protest. Rogers said he is fighting the restaurant's construction because he believes the University wants McDonald's to relocate so Penn can purchase and redevelop the Walnut Street site. However, Tom Lussenhop, the University's top real estate official, said he was not aware of any such plan. "It's all news to me," he said. "I've never heard of this before." Lussenhop went on to call the protesters' allegations "interesting and creative." But protest organizer Rev. Larry Falcon disagreed. "They want to make it an insular community," he said of Penn. His home, located directly behind the proposed McDonald's site, stands to lose much of its backyard once construction begins. Falcon accused Penn of trying to move the current McDonald's to a location more "suitable" for the University's plans, pointing to a recent report released by the University City District. Although the report -- which outlined plans for development of the 40th Street retail corridor -- did not explicitly say this, Falcon felt the message was clearly implied. "But their 'suitable' location is in my neighborhood, not their neighborhood," he said. As rush-hour traffic was held up for blocks on Chestnut Street, a small cadre of police unsuccessfully tried to move the protesters to the sidewalk. Though the protesters' obstruction of the road was illegal, no one was arrested. "They want to tear down McDonald's so they can build what?" asked James Nasti, a West Philadelphia resident who spoke at the rally. "A Banana Republic? Another parking garage?" And according to Falcon, the group submitted over 200 petition signatures to the city in an unsuccessful effort to stop construction. Demolition on the existing building began last Saturday morning. Falcon also said that the city's posted demolition notice didn't include the date when work was to begin -- a feature required by law to appear on such notices. Clutching a photograph of the notice clearly showing an empty "date" field, Falcon told the protesters about his many efforts to stop the development. "We have done everything right but we have reached wrong," he said, referring to moves by both McDonald's and the city that he said have squelched his cause. Rogers agreed, attributing much of the problems to the University's development plan. "Penn has acted like an invading army since I've been in the neighborhood," said the 30-year resident, by "grabbing land, destroying neighborhoods, and driving people out systematically."