After announcing last Friday that negotiations over new sports stadiums had halted without a deal, Mayor John Street broadcasted over live television on Monday that talks between the city, the Phillies and the Eagles had resumed.

Street also released updated cost estimates for the two stadiums.

The new baseball facility proposed for 12th and Vine streets for the Phillies and a new Eagles stadium in the present South Philadelphia Veterans Stadium site will together cost $1.229 billion, Street said.

This latest estimate -- which includes $331 million for the Phillies stadium and $365 for the Eagles sports complex -- is approximately $200 million more than the cost announced by the mayor back in May.

The figure also accounts for operation and maintenance expenses, the demolition of Veterans Stadium, construction of a practice facility for the Eagles and various site-specific costs like the acquisition of the 12th and Vine site.

Amid criticism of the high costs necessary to build a downtown baseball stadium, Street used Monday evening's broadcast to repeat his support for a Center City stadium.

"A Center City location for the Phillies is the right choice," he said in his speech. "It is estimated that a Center City ballpark would be the anchor for the creation of thousands of jobs."

Street announced that he wanted to build the baseball stadium adjacent to Chinatown approximately six weeks ago, angering many area residents and businesses.

The mayor said in a press conference after the broadcast that talks with the two teams were back at "drawing board" after off-and-on negotiations since his site announcement in May.

Street had originally said that he wanted to have a financing agreement with the two teams by the end of June, but said on Monday that meeting this deadline would be impossible.

The challenging in creating a finance deal, he said, was in finding a balance that "allows us to finance the stadiums but doesn't hurt the city or the teams."

Funding for the new stadiums will come primarily from the city, the state and the teams themselves, as well as various tax revenue sources.

And while the mayor said he remains adamant that financing the new stadium not use general fund money needed in other areas, representatives of both the Phillies and the Eagles said that they remain opposed to significant ticket surcharges.

"We believe that there is a limit for our fans as far as what they can contribute," Phillies President Dave Montgomery said.

Montgomery and Eagles Executive Vice President Joe Banner both turned out for the mayor's on-air speech, but said little in regards to the progression of negotiations with the city.

However, each said they were looking forward to resuming talks with the city.

But Montgomery said "the process was clearly not the direct route that we at one time had hoped for."

He noted that there were many positives and negatives to the proposed Chinatown site for the new baseball stadium, reiterating his concern that a downtown site didn't have the parking spaces to support the sports franchise.

And Banner said that he continued to be committed to a stadium deal for both teams, noting that he would not seek a separate deal for the Eagles.

"We all lose if we don't get it done," he said.