Police will be present at all Fling events to minimize underage drinking this weekend. For most Penn students, the phrase "Spring Fling" is synonymous with alcohol -- and lots of it. But the University Police will join forces with the state Liquor Control Enforcement bureau this weekend to combat the underage drinking that has historically characterized the annual event. University Police Chief Maureen Rush said that, similar to last year, numerous Penn Police, Philadelphia police and LCE agents will be present throughout the weekend's activities to minimize underage drinking. "We're working on a protocol with the college house system, and we'll be using Spectaguards," she said. Rush added that the LCE is expected Thursday, Friday and Saturday, and the agency will be using the University Police headquarters on Chestnut Street as a base of operations. "[The LCE] is looking for underage drinkers, establishments serving underage drinkers and houses serving underage drinkers," Rush said. "We help [the LCE] in any way we can." LCE officials could not be reached for comment yesterday. Unlike last year -- when there was a ban on alcohol at most on-campus undergraduate parties following an alcohol-related death -- University security officers are not conducting mandatory searches for alcohol in students' bags at all dormitory entrances. According to University Police Deputy Chief of Operations Michael Fink, security guards will only check "suspicious" packages to ensure underage students aren't bringing alcohol into dorms. However, from Thursday until Saturday, no alcohol -- regardless of whether the student is of legal drinking age -- will be permitted into the Quadrangle, Hill College House or Hill Field. For Fling events in the Quad, no beverage containers will be permitted to be brought into the area. Any individual bringing alcohol into one of the other college houses may be required to show identification for proof of age. University officials emphasize that the current alcohol policy will be strictly enforced throughout the weekend, adding that University Police will give citations to those found with alcohol at Fling events. Last year, only 16 students were cited by the University Police and the LCE for violating University policy or state law -- down significantly from the 180 students cited in 1996. Cited students must either plead not guilty at a hearing, risking a large fine, or pay $100 to attend a three-hour alcohol awareness class on Saturdays. And students who receive citations will lose their driver's licenses for 90 days, regardless of which state issued the license.