Al Gore: Guardian of '90s prosperity Since 1993, Vice President Al Gore has worked hard to lead America into the 21st century. The president and vice president have brought our nation to a period of unparalleled economic prosperity: 1999 witnessed the largest budget surplus in history, the lowest unemployment rate in 40 years and the highest home-ownership rate ever. The vice president fought hard to enact the largest single investment in health care for children since 1965; 200,000 more children have entered into the Head Start Program since 1992; and Al Gore helped broker an increase in Pell grants to the largest amount ever. The violent crime rate is the lowest it's been since 1973 and an astonishing 6.8 million people have left welfare since 1993, the largest drop since the program was created. The accomplishments of the Clinton-Gore administration are truly giving Americans the tools to realize their potential in the 21st century. If elected 46th president of the United States, Al Gore will continue to exercise his proven leadership and commitment on behalf of the American people. Through hard work and dedication, Gore will raise education standards, cut taxes, pressure the World Trade Organization to adopt more environment- and labor-friendly standards, fight to ensure the Internet remains tax free, extend Social Security and Medicare solvency, pay down the national debt, provide health care for every child, strengthen family values and keep abortion "safe, legal and rare." He will keep our budget balanced, streamline government to save money and reduce red tape, close the "soft money" loophole in campaign finance law, keep guns out of the hands of children and criminals, continue to combat global warming, keep drugs away from our children and schools, restore our nation's faith in the American system of governance and work to retain America's title as the world's strongest advocate for peace, freedom, free markets and humanitarianism. Most of all, Al Gore believes that in order to remain as prosperous and powerful as we have been since he became vice president, we must continue strong and steady economic growth -- building upon the Clinton-Gore achievement of maintaining the longest peacetime economic expansion in U.S. history. Gore will also work hard to ensure that all American children receive a first-rate education by raising standards and expectations for students, as well as for the teachers who guide them. Having worked directly for Vice President Gore, I know first hand how sincere and dedicated he is to leading our nation. From his leadership on the economy to his work in Congress on strengthening education and ensuring quality health care, Al Gore has made a difference for America. Al Gore will not only ensure continued economic prosperity for all segments of our population, but he will work hard to provide every American with the education and the tools they need to succeed and flourish in the 21st century.