Added to the still-empty former Sam Goody site just around the corner, the decision to get rid of the stores simply does not make sense, as no replacements have yet signed on to take their places. These empty storefronts cannot languish. Instead, administrators must make sure the stores they emptied are quickly occupied. In fact, local retailers have been pointing out for months that rent in the complex is prohibitively high -- often running at least double the cost of alternative stores in Center City. With Sansom Common opening soon, Walnut Street retail will likely experience a rebirth. The current market, however, does not support such high rent. Officials said the University's decision reflects Penn's desire to get the right mix of retail on campus. Yet the stores that have left the complex -- especially Software Etc. and Sam Goody -- provided services to community members not available from many other local vendors. And because most of the stores told to leave were earning enough money to pay their bills, it makes even less sense that they are not allowed to remain open. When the University took over management of the 3401 Walnut Street complex, it did so to ensure that appropriate retailers had the opportunity to open stores. That responsibility still exists, and it is more important now than ever. Charging too much for space and then kicking out the stores that can pay is not sound policy.