· The people and events that affected our lives · The Blizzard of '96 covered the campus with more snow than the East Coast had seen in a decade and left many students stranded at airports and train stations across the country as they tried to return for the spring term. An all-time high of almost 16,000 applications poured into the Office of Admissions, making the Class of 2000 the most selective in the University's history. And Houston Hall -- the oldest student union in the United States -- celebrated its 100th birthday. The event coincided with the commencement of preliminary work on Perelman Quadrangle -- a revitalization project targeting Irvine Auditorium and Houston, Logan and Williams Halls. On the Greek scene, the InterFraternity Council offered bids to 507 potential brothers in its first-ever spring rush and Panhel gave bids to 355 freshman and sophomore women. The University received national recognition, as the Commission on Presidential Debates announced that Penn was selected as one of three alternate sites for a presidential debate in the fall. There were several changes in the administration as Managing Director of Public Safety Thomas Season eliminated the post of police chief. George Clisby, the former chief, took on the post of director of administration and former Director of Victim Support Maureen Rush was named director of police operations. Additionally, Chaplain Stanley Johnson stepped down after 35 years at the University, and eight-year director of Penn Relays Timothy Baker turned in his resignation. At the end of the month, jury selection began in the trail of two defendants accused of murdering fifth-year Mathematics graduate student Al-Moez Alimohamed. -- Marisa Katz February marked the end of an era, as the men's basketball team suffered its first conference loss in 49 games against Dartmouth. The Quakers lost to the Big Green 54-53 in the final seconds of the game -- bringing an end to the team's winning streak. But there was cause for celebration, as Vice President Al Gore made a Valentine's Day visit to the University in honor of the 50th anniversary of ENIAC -- the first modern computer. The University showed off its campus and technological savvy to Gore, who switched on ENIAC for the first time in decades and spoke about the federal government's commitment to furthering science and technological research. Tom Stoppard, author of Arcadia, also made an appearance on campus in February to discuss his play with members of the Class of 1999, who had read the play for the Penn Reading Project. During his three-day visit, Stoppard led several major public events, attended various classes and received an official proclamation from Mayor Ed Rendell -- a keychain to the city. Also in February, problems with mail theft that had plagued the campus for years concluded with the arrest of 30th Street Postal Clerk Gerald Ricca. Ricca was charged with and eventually convicted of one count of mail theft for stealing mail addressed to University dormitories. He is believed to be responsible stealing mail from the 30th Street Post Office since 1992. -- Mark Fiore While students looked forward to plans for spring break, March was a busy month at the University. Police found marijuana and a gun in the car of Donald Gaines, a staff assistant to University President Judith Rodin. Charges were dropped because of accusations that the search was illegal, but Gaines was fired from his post. Provost Stanley Chodorow agreed to modify the University's Judicial Charter, making rules about open hearings and confidentiality more flexible in response to student and faculty concerns. Headlining sports news, men's basketball lost to Princeton in a playoff game, giving Princeton the Ivy League bid to the NCAA Tournament. U.S. News and World Report ranked nine of Penn's graduate programs in the top 25. The Wharton School of Business ranked third, while the School of Medicine placed sixth and the Law School was eighth. In faculty news, popular English Professor Gregg Camfield was denied tenure for a second and final time, leading him to leave the University. And the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences lost a faculty member with the death of Mechanical Engineering Professor Jacob Abel, who had spent 30 years at the school. On the financial front, the the University's Board of Trustees approved a 5.5 percent tuition increase and the University paid an estimated $2.48 million to help cover the costs of other investors in the bankrupt New Era charity. Thirty-four students ran for 25 spots on the Undergraduate Assembly, and all three of the referenda on the ballot failed. Students who voted were entered into a raffle for tickets to the Billy Joel concert. The Student Activities Council elected eight members to the Executive Committee. The group chose Engineering senior Paul Wilder as chairperson. In Greek life, student leaders released a preliminary 21st Century Report, the Panhellenic Council rejected a Sigma Kappa sorority bid to colonize, and the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity was put on a two month social probation after an unregistered mixer. And in performing arts, the Glee Club went to Broadway to serenade Sunset Boulevard star Betty Buckley, while 1996 College Graduate Paul Shore directed God as an independent study project. -- Shannon Burke For some University students, April was only three hours and 25 minutes long. Or at least that's what they'll remember. For one spring night, Billy Joel captivated more than 1,800 lucky fans -- a full house at Irvine Auditorium --with renditions of his classic songs and anecdotes about his life. Earlier that month, former College senior Eden Jacobowitz announced he would sue the University for personal damages incurred during the judicial proceedings of the 1993 "water buffalo" incident. And it was Spring Fling with a twist this year, as the Pennsylvania Liquor Control and Enforcement Bureau made an appearance on Penn's campus -- at the invitation of the University. The LCE dampened the spirits of 94 students, who were cited for underage drinking and fake ID violations over the weekend. As the spring semester wound down, University President Judith Rodin agreed to step back into the classroom, announcing that she would teach a freshman seminar in the Psychology Department this fall. And University officials released plans for a new Barnes & Noble superstore at 36th and Walnut streets, replacing The Book Store. Barnes & Noble took over operations at the current store over the summer, and the new one is slated to open in fall 1998. At Columbia University, 200 students seized control of a campus building, demanding that the school create an Ethnic Studies Department. The protest ended after 15 days with the students' demands unanswered. Back on the Penn campus, officials said low enrollment would prevent two of the four proposed virtual college pilot programs from opening this fall. And when the U.S. Department of Defense announced it would not agree to a new arrangement for the Army Reserve Officers Training Corps, the University announced it would not make changes to its own ROTC program -- Tammy Reiss It was a summer of confusion, construction and shakeups as the University's administration began work on many large-scale projects. As part of ongoing efforts to cut costs on campus, Executive Vice President John Fry announced that he would consider outsourcing all departments. He stressed, however, that this year's efforts will focus on residential and dining services. The University fired 160 employees last year due to outsourcing and restructuring, prompting widespread fears as to the effects of future downsizing. Major shake-ups hit the two-month-old Department of Housing and Residence in August, as Gigi Simeone, who served as Residential Living director for almost 10 years, and Zoila Airall, associate director of staff and programming, both left the University. As a result of the personnel changes and departmental reorganization, the consulting firm Biddison Hier was contracted to review all of the University's residential operations. Construction workers were a common sight on campus over the summer, beginning work to transform the former Theta Xi fraternity house at 3643 Locust Walk into the Penn Women's Center and to replace Locust Walk's bluestones with bituminous paver. Both projects continued into the school year. Several new projects were announced over the summer. Security Director Chris Algard unveiled the idea of installing biometric hand readers into University residences and the possibility of a multi-million contract with Sensormatic Security Corporation. University Police began carrying semi-automatic weapons and commenced a search for a new headquarters. And efforts began to make a new debit card system more user-friendly to the University community. The usual summer appointments added to the chaos. William Gipson, former associate dean of religious life at Princeton University, was named Penn's new chaplain, while Physics Professor Ralph Amado was formally named vice provost for research, after serving in the position on an interim basis since September of 1995. Medical School Dean William Kelley, School of Engineering and Applied Sciences Dean Gregory Farrington and Wharton School Dean Thomas Gerrity were all reappointed as the final part of the review process. Additionally, 1980 University Graduate John Prendergast was named the new editor of the Pennsylvania Gazette. James O'Donnell, a Classical Studies professor and faculty fellow in Van Pelt College House, became the new faculty master for Hill College House. And Michael Diorka was appointed director of the University's Intramural Recreation Sports, giving him the opportunity to make large-scale changes to the department. -- Jaclyn LaPlaca As students returned to school in September, the University began to take on the feel of a campus under siege. Thirty armed robberies occurred on or around campus during the month, culminating in a robbery gone bad September 24 that saw College senior Patrick Leroy shot in the back. The alleged gunman, Wilmington, Del. resident Chris Crawford, was arrested by Philadelphia Police within an hour of the shooting. The other two suspects were arrested in the following two weeks. Two days after the incident, University President Judith Rodin announced a slew of new safety initiatives at a town meeting held to deal with the crimes. Rodin spent two hours hearing and trying to alleviate student concerns about safety. In response, the University increased the number of foot and bike patrols around campus and added 66 new blue light phones. Also in September, School of Arts and Sciences Dean Rosemary Stevens resigned after serving as dean for five years. She is now on an academic leave of absence until September 1997. Physics Professor Walter Wales is currently serving as interim dean. The month also saw the first of several major financial commitments to facilities initiatives. The Board of Trustees approved a $15 million deal to buy the Sheraton Hotel on 36th and Chestnut streets. The University intends to use the building as swing space for students once several dormitories undergo renovations. The University also sold the building located at 3025 Walnut Street for $1.45 million to a gene-therapy company started by an Engineering School professor. And Rodin announced her commitment of $20 million to a minority permanence plan -- outlined as part of the University's strategic goals in the Agenda for Excellence. Whartonites filled with pride again when the undergraduate business program was ranked first in the nation in U.S. News and World Report's annual rankings. But the University overall slipped two spots to number 13 -- prompting statements from administrators discounting the importance of such rankings. -- Andrea Ahles Vladimir Sled celebrated his 38th birthday near the end of October. But with less than an hour left in the month, the University biochemist was stabbed to death on 43rd Street and Larchwood Avenue. Sled's death tragically concluded a month which had more than its fair share of headline-grabbing events. Kathy Change -- the local activist whose dancing, flag waving and skimpy clothing were familiar to the entire University -- immolated herself in front of the peace symbol on College Green. Change wanted her suicide -- which she had planned for more than a year -- to call attention to her political beliefs advocating a peaceful "transformation" of society. Attempting to get the University community to consider her ideas more seriously, she immolated herself outside Van Pelt Library. In the final week of the presidential election campaign, two of the three major-party candidates stumped for votes at the University. Thousands packed Hill Field for a rally featuring President Clinton. The next day, Reform Party candidate Ross Perot spoke at Irvine Auditorium and challenged Clinton to a one-on-one debate -- only to be brushed off by the White House. The University of Michigan, in search of a new president, chose Penn Provost Stanley Chodorow as one of four finalists for the job. Chodorow impressed students and faculty when he visited Ann Arbor as part of the interview process. Safety matters were a top concern throughout the month. Public Safety Managing Director Thomas Seamon announced a $3 million-plus contract with Sensormatic Electronics Corporation. The company will install a high-tech security system in all University residences. Public Safety, which includes the University Police department, also said that it would consolidate its three current locations into a new, state-of-the-art facility near 40th and Chestnut streets. Less than one week after the announcement, however, a woman shot and wounded a man outside the future police station. Popular television college basketball analyst Dick Vitale also visited Penn during October, leading a rally and giving an inspirational speech at the Palestra. And real estate tycoon and Wharton alumnus Donald Trump told a crowd of current Whartonites they could "be kicking my ass in the near future." -- Scott Lanman November began on a tragic note, as news of University biochemist Vladimir Sled's October 31 murder shocked a University community still reeling from the September shooting of College senior Patrick Leroy. The status quo came out on top during November, as voters across the country re-elected Democratic President Bill Clinton, while giving Republicans control of Congress for the second straight term. Five University alumni will be heading to Washington as part of the 105th U.S. House of Representatives -- including its youngest member, 26-year-old Harold Ford Jr., who graduated from the University in 1992. Locally, University President Judith Rodin announced a master plan for the campus's facilities calling for the acquisition of land -- such as the Civic Center -- near the University's eastern and southern borders. The land would be used for new recreational facilities and laboratories. Rodin's plan also includes closing off 36th Street between Walnut and Chestnut streets to create an upscale "urban park," building new residences on the north side of campus and demolishing or renovating the high rises and graduate towers. University administrators were quick to add, however, that the implementation of Rodin's plan is at least "a few years away." The University's relationship with Drexel was called into question after an 18-year-old Drexel student fell 13 stories while rappelling from Graduate Tower B, where she had lived as part of a pilot program between the two schools. Vice Provost for University Life Valarie Swain-Cade McCoullum said the University would reevaluate the program in response to the incident. And the Admissions Department revealed that early decision applications to the University fell by 10.4 percent, decreasing to 1,832 from last year's mark of 2,046. But Admissions Dean Lee Stetson stressed that the decrease wouldn't affect the selectiveness or quality of the Class of 2001. -- Yochi Dreazen Safety-related programs continued to be a University priority in December. The University began its lighting improvement pilot plan by unveiling new residential lighting on the 4100 block of Pine Street. The plan encourages residents to replace the lights near their homes. Those who do so will be reimbursed for 50 percent of the new lighting costs through a $25,000 fund established by the University and local landlords. Additionally, the 40th Street Task Force -- comprised of administrators and students -- continued its work on the western edge of campus by painting the University City Shopping Center and beginning the process of repaving the street. The Task Force also announced plans to extend the improvements to the area between Baltimore Avenue and Sansom Street. The District Attorney's office announced that it will probably seek the death penalty for all three suspects in the October 31 murder of Medical Center research associate Vladimir Sled. Concentrating on its plans to overhaul the retail on and around campus, the University signed a contract to acquire full leasing responsibilities for the 3401 Walnut shopping complex. Officials will examine the current residents and work to fill existing vacancies. December was also a big month for Greek life on campus. Members of the three Greek umbrella organizations signed their 21st Century Report for an Ivy League Greek System. The report focuses on new initiatives and current programs in eight areas, including common academic initiative for the three groups. University administrators and the InterFraternity Council broke their deadlock in negotiations over reforming the group's alcohol policy. The two groups agreed to work together to form a fundraising alternative to the current cover charging system for parties. A graduate student monitor program for parties will also begin this spring. -- Suzanne Albers