After last week's stabbingAfter last week's stabbingfaculty offer their own tips. Microbiology Professor Susan Weiss was full of regrets last week when she sold her West Philadelphia home, where she lived with her family for the past nine years. "It's a wonderful neighborhood," Weiss said. "There is an interesting mixture of people, lots of kids on the blocks and it's convenient to the University and the city. "But all that is juxtaposed to coming home at night and running into your house because you are afraid of being mugged," she said. Last week's murder of medical researcher Vladimir Sled, compounded by the numerous crimes in the area this fall, brought safety to the forefront for many faculty members living west of campus. But Weiss said those who have lived in the area for longer periods of time tell her the current increase in crime is just part of an ongoing cycle. Although she said she doesn't feel more unsafe now than in years past, she expressed greater concern about safety since her son is older and more independent. "The neighborhood is fine for raising kids when they are little and you can carry them around everywhere," she said. "But when they get older and need to go out, safety becomes more of a problem." She recalled a time when someone stole her son's bicycle after knocking him off it -- an incident that prompted her decision to move to the suburbs. "It's a shame because I think the more people who move out, the more we're giving up the streets to the criminals," Weiss added. While the majority of University faculty who live in West Philadelphia said they have no intentions of leaving their beloved neighborhood, they are quick to recommend ways the University could improve the area. "A lot could be done to make the area around the University livelier, more vibrant and more appealing," said Urban Studies co-Director Michael Katz, also a History professor who has lived in the area for 18 years. He urged the University to encourage more faculty, staff and graduate students to take up residence in West Philadelphia by making investments to stabilize the quality of housing and local schools. "They could develop a mortgage plan with more generous financial incentives," Katz added. History Department Chairperson Lynn Lees suggested the University look at mortgage plans such as Yale University's, which gives subsidies to faculty and staff who live in New Haven, Conn., neighborhoods near the school's campus. But she emphasized that any new plan should aim to benefit West Philadelphia specifically. Biology Professor David Roos said the University needs to focus its efforts to deal with the problems of trash and graffiti west of campus. "It is well established that a dirty environment begets crime," he said. Although he thinks measures such as Penn Escort are useful, Roos said they shouldn't be viewed as permanent solutions. "While it is good to realize its benefits for the moment, the goal should be a community where Escort is not necessary," he said. Roos added that he thinks the University should reconsider creating a safety corridor extending Locust Walk to 47th Street --Ean idea suggested several years ago that received little response. Carol Scheman, vice president for government and community affairs, is spearheading several ongoing plans to improve West Philadelphia. "The University can't make decisions about where people live," Scheman said. "Nor can the University single-handedly make West Philadelphia a safer place. "But I am hopeful that the West Philadelphia area will turn around and become a better, more attractive and safer place to live," she said.