Everyone knew the Penn men's basketball team's matchup against Ohio State would be important. But in spite of the recent exodus of almost all of the Buckeyes' talent due to various off-court events, the simple addition of Big 10 plus Big 5 plus ESPN2 equaled BIG TIME for the Quakers. With Penn's recent struggles against lesser opponents, the game took on an even greater significance. It was apparent to many of the Penn faithful that the Quakers needed to get their house in order -- and fast -- before struggling through games became the norm rather than an aberration. · At the 9:42 mark of the second half with the score 70-51 in Penn's favor, Ohio State coach Randy Ayers called a time-out in a desperate attempt to finally stop the onslaught. As the Quakers headed off the court to huddle with coach Fran Dunphy, I slumped back into my seat, let out a sigh of relief and reflected to myself that order was finally restored in the Penn basketball universe. At last, the 1994-1995 Quakers seemed like the team that beat Nebraska a year ago. With a patient, balanced offensive attack and relentless defense Penn quieted many recent doubts by capturing a 20-point victory in front of a frenzied and much relieved Palestra crowd. Dunphy would be the first to say that the Quakers' performance was far from perfect, but many bright spots did shine through. Also obvious were some lingering problems Penn still has not solved. · Ear to Ear. That's how big senior guard Matt Maloney's smile was as he trotted back down the court after he nailed yet another three-pointer. He tried to regain his game face, but his smile was still visible. And who could blame him? Maloney has been struggling from behind the 3-point line since last season, but he connected on four-of-six from downtown against Ohio State. He has consistently shown the ability to orchestrate the offense and drive the lane at ease, but his shot selection and accuracy have not been stellar. Maloney corrected both problems against the Buckeyes. Another solid effort will be needed when the Quakers face Michigan on December 13th. Senior guard Jerome Allen once again put up impressive numbers as he lived up to his ESPN2 billing of "Mr. Dream Guard." He tallied 15 points, nine rebounds, six assists, and three steals while juking and driving all over the Palestra hardwood. He repeatedly combined with senior center Eric Moore on the most basic play in basketball -- the pick and roll. This was just one example of Penn's unselfish play on offense. All the Quakers worked the ball around the court numerous times before settling on a shot -- whether it was the guards on the perimeter or the big men down low. Continuity on offense was maintained as Penn once again kept its turnovers to a minimum. They tallied nine, while the Buckeyes turned the ball over 23 times. The offense was much more effective than in Penn's previous games this season, but corrections still need to implemented. Senior forward Shawn Trice started out strong, but disappeared on offense as the game wore on. And junior forward Tim Krug must learn not to shoot the ball just because it is in his hands. Penn started out slowly on the defensive end. Early on, the Quakers let up many easy baskets in the paint. They also struggled with preventing the three-point shot throughout the entire game, much like in their first two outings. However, the Quakers came away with 13 steals and junior forward Ira Bowman singlehandedly shut down Ohio State on numerous occasions. Bowman's defensive pressure forced the Buckeyes to run their offense from well behind the three-point arc. Kegler was also impressive on defense. He drew several charges and his "help" defense off the ball kept Ohio State in check. Surprisingly, Penn was able to put up its strong defensive stand while only being whistled for nine fouls the entire game. · While the Quakers seemed to regain their composure at both ends of the floor, beating a much-maligned Ohio State team by 20 points at home is not the type of victory of which seasons are made. The Quakers were in dire need of a decisive victory despite being only three games into the season, however. Toppling the Buckeyes hopefully exorcised the demons of Canisius, but whether or not Penn can repeat their solid performance in the future still remains to be seen. Adam Kaye is a Wharton and College senior from Freehold, N.J., and a sports writer for The Daily Pennsylvanian.