The national organization of the American Association of University Professors is urging the University to postpone making a decision on the proposed elimination of three departments in the School of Arts and Sciences. In a letter sent to Interim President Claire Fagin, Interim Provost Marvin Lazerson and SAS Dean Rosemary Stevens, the AAUP recommends a "thorough review of the matter" and "meaningful consultation with concerned SAS faculty" before the cutting of the American Civilization, Religious Studies and Regional Science departments takes effect. Stevens would not comment on the letter last night, although she added she has written a response that will appear in next week's Almanac. "This is my first direct contact with the National AAUP on this matter," she said. "It was a proper and courteous letter based on reports the AAUP has received. Some of the reports were not entirely accurate and this will become clear when you see the letter and the response side by side." The National AAUP became involved after both the University Chapter and Pennsylvania Division of the organization sent letters to Stevens about the policy she used in making the cuts. In the AAUP's letter, Associate Secretary B. Robert Kreiser said the AAUP is concerned with long-standing matters concerning academic governing. "Faculty members?complain that the procedures followed by the dean in the SAS restructuring have served to deny them a meaningful role in dealing with academic policy matters," his letter states. Stevens said, though, that faculty have played a meaningful role all along. But she still forwarded her proposals onto the provost relatively unchanged, despite faculty opposition. Stevens said her decisions are in full conformity with the Joint Statement on Government of Colleges and Universities, the AAUP-advocated standards. Linda Koons, executive assistant to the provost, said last night that her office is taking the letter very seriously, and is carefully reviewing each of the 100 letters it has received. Lazerson said last month that he will try to release his decision by the end of this month. The University Board of Trustees is then expected to vote on the proposals at their January campus meeting. In the meantime, the Academic Policy and Planning Committee of the Trustees will discuss the cuts at a December 13 campus meeting. Koons said each of the three departments slated for closure will be given time to make presentations to the board at that time. Stevens said she expects her proposal to pass come January. "In large part, we are expecting the recommendations to go forward," she said. "We'll take events one step at a time." When all is said and done, Stevens added, she and the AAUP both want the University and the school to prosper. "We want the partnership between faculty and administrators and trustees to work well and we are all committed to the success of the academic enterprise," Stevens said. "Perhaps we lose sight of this basic sense of agreement when things get too mired down in bureaucratic detail." Her critics would disagree, however, citing that her move undermines a level of collegiality at the University and a loss of sight of the academic mission. Stevens said she doesn't know how she would do things differently if given the opportunity to redesign the process which she used to make her cuts. "I think that any process serves as a learning experience for everyone concerned," she said. "I feel good about the way that our faculty has handled the very, very difficult discussions, maneuvers and decisions."