The Red and Blue might have the same name as last year's controversial right-wing publication, but with a revamped board of editors and submission policy, the newspaper hopes to redefine its role at the University. "We are changing it from what it was previously," Editor-in-Chief Justin Cook said last night. "It's going to be a little more of an open forum." In recent years, the 12-page bi-monthly was a forum for conservative concerns at the University. But those same times found The Red and Blue encumbered by Student Activities Council debt and recognition foibles which limited publication. Last year, the paper only distributed two issues. But Managing Editor and College sophomore Chris Robbins said the newspaper, whose only returning member is Cook, is ready to establish a new niche among students. Most recently it has re-established SAC recognition. "It was founded as a literary publication," said Cook, who added he has done extensive historical research on The Red and Blue, which is 105 years old. Cook said issues printed between 1890 and 1930 "were beautiful," rivaling editions of The New Yorker. The old magazines carried poems, art and photographs and had sections detailing activities in the law, medical and undergraduate schools. And though Robbins admitted the new Red and Blue might not challenge The New Yorker at local newsstands, the old format will return to the newsprint when it is distributed door-to-door on December 15. The issues will be free. Cook said the new content, which is slated to include a book review and a "little bit more of an intellectual angle," will also focus on "heavily-researched" stories which might not appear in The Daily Pennsylvanian. This is a significant change from last year's paper, which Robbins said "was notorious for being controversial." He added that previous staffs "continually strived to keep it controversial." Still, Cook said, "there is no conservative qualification to be on the paper." He pointed out that the new "open forum" will contain views both conservative and liberal. Cook said the newspaper will support itself through advertising and hopes to be completely "independent" in a "number of years." He added that an extensive alumni network might help defray printing and operating costs. The new staff has 45 members, 18 of whom are freshmen. They were recruited, "mostly through close connections, friends and a propaganda campaign," Robbins said.