WASHINGTON -- It looked like a swirling ocean as the thousands of people who gathered outside the Capitol Building simultaneously stood and turned their heads to watch then President-elect Bill Clinton and his motorcade drive down Pennsylvania Avenue. Once Clinton reached the Capitol and was introduced for the first time, he walked toward the crowd which blanketed the entire Capitol grounds and Mall, offering his patented smile and hand wave. Yesterday, as former Arkansas governor Clinton was sworn in as the 42nd President of the United States, the atmosphere overwhelmed those who made the trip to the nation's capital. American flags were majestically draped over the Capitol walls, flags were paraded through the masses and patriotic music constantly blared from speakers stationed throughout the crowd which amassed from the Capitol steps, past the reflecting pool, all the way to the end of the historic Mall. The inauguration ceremony began with a welcome from Sen. Wendell Ford (D-Ky.), the chairman of the Congressional Inaugural Committee who introduced Vice President Dan Quayle and his wife, Marilyn, Vice President-elect Al Gore and his wife, Tipper, President George Bush and his wife, Barbara, and Clinton and his wife, Hillary. The crowd booed and jeered the outgoing President. Following Ford, the ceremony featured a prayer from Billy Graham and songs from both Metropolitan Opera Mezzo Soprano Marilyn Horne and the Philander Smith College Choir. Supreme Court Justice Byron White then stepped toward the podium and swore in Gore in place of retired Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, who was too ill to attend the ceremony. Supreme Court Chief Justice William Rehnquist then issued the oath of the Presidency to Clinton as the crowds cheered and gave the newly inaugurated President a standing ovation. Clinton addressed the crowds and offered an optimistic speech asking the public to look to the future and strive to change America for the better. "Today, we pledge that the era of deadlock and drift is over -- a new season of American renewal has begun," Clinton said in his prepared speech. "It will not be easy; it will require sacrifice. But it can be done, and done fairly, not choosing sacrifice for its own sake, but for our own sake. We must provide for our nation the way a family provides for its children." Following his speech, now as the first Democratic President in 12 years, Clinton again came forward with Hillary and his daughter Chelsea and waved and smiled to the masses below as the crowd waved back. Many spectators said they believe Clinton will fulfill his promise to be a "people's President." "Coming after Bush, who was so out of touch with the masses, Clinton seems to actually care about the people," said College and Wharton senior Larry Schoen, who traveled to Washington to attend the ceremonies. "In Arkansas, he spoke at a Girls' State Conference, went to Razorback games and took Chelsea shopping at local shopping malls," said Doris Adkins, who is from Clinton's hometown of Hope, Arkansas. "Any morning you could get up and jog along side him and have a cup of coffee with him at McDonald's." "I think he will change the office of the President," Clinton's high school classmate Lauren Adkins said yesterday. "He has brought back a friendliness to the city that has disappeared under the Bush administration." Following the ceremony, "the people's President" attended the inaugural lunch and then entered his limousine to start the Inauguaral Parade entitled "An American Reunion -- New Beginnings, Renewed Hope." Once the parade reached 15th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, Clinton exited his vehicle a la former President Jimmy Carter and walked the remainder of the parade in order to be more accessible to the gathered crowd. Clinton's feet hit the pavement to chants of "One-Two-Three-Four; We want Clinton/Gore." The name "Bill" was written in tape inside many office buildings that lined Pennsylvania Avenue. But amidst the excitement and playful chanting, Clinton also walked past signs that reminded the new President of the problems that he must deal with. People held signs that said "Pro Choice -- Keep Your Laws Off My Body" and "appoint an AIDS czar." Others held signs advocating a gay and lesbian march on Washington in 1993. Clinton referred to these problems in his prepared address, but remained ever optimistic and positive. "There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America," he said. "To renew America, we must be bold."