To the Editor: As Sports Editor Jonathan Mayo pointed out in his excellent column about Val (DP 10/29/92), many of us "hear a story similar to Cloud's, pause from our daily activities to feel sorrow or pity, and then continue on as if nothing has changed." Well, I would like to personally thank all of those people who didn't follow normal human responses, but actually did something to help in our efforts to find a match for Val. On Sunday, November 1, many people participated in a bone testing drive at Villanova University to locate a bone marrow donor for Val Cloud. Penn athletes, coaches, administration, students and alumni made up a large percentage of the almost 950 people who were tested that day. We had a great turnout and cannot properly express how appreciative we are of everyone's efforts. Once again, thank you to Jonathan Mayo and the DP for making people aware of the event, thank you to everyone who has contributed to the "Friends of Val" fund, and thank you to everyone in the Penn community who took a little time from their Sunday to give an extra chance to Val Cloud. DONNA MULHERN Assistant Coach Women's Field Hockey "Friends of Val"