At the first annual 'Where We Stand' forum last night, student leaders sifted through the issue of diversifying Locust Walk but failed to reach any definite solution. The forum, sponsored by The Daily Pennsylvanian and The Vision, included eight student leaders who discussed changing the composition of the Walk, as well as the Mayor's Scholarship dispute and anti-discrimination policies as they pertained to the Reserve Officer Training Corps unit on the University campus. Just under 40 people attended the two-and-one-half hour forum. The forum began with opening remarks by Nicole Bloom, member of Women United for Change; Jeff Blount, InterFraternity Council president; Pam Urueta, Latino Coalition president and United Minority Council president-elect; Mark Reed, member of the University's ROTC program; You-Lee Kim, Student Activities Council Steering Committee member and United Minorities Council president; Sloan Wiesen, member of the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Alliance; and Jeff Lichtman, the Undergraduate Assembly chairperson. While the panel, monitored by History Professor Mary Berry, was given three particular issues to discus, members used the majority of their time discussing Locust Walk. The discussion first focused on why there is a lack of diversity on Locust Walk. The problem was credited by some to the make-up of the student and administrative bodies. "Diversity on the Walk does not mean anything unless there is diversity in the student body . . . and the administrative body," Urueta said. But others felt the problem was monetary. "The administration has chosen . . . to uphold the power of the dollar over the power of principle," Kim said. Many suggested moving fraternities off Locust Walk. However, Blount, saying this idea was "unacceptable," pointed out the element of tradition as a reason not to remove fraternity houses. He said the houses were present many years "before Locust Walk was Locust Walk." But others felt tradition was not valid argument. "To use tradition as an argument is a weak argument," said Urueta. "Slavery was a tradition." "History is precisely why change is necessary," Kim added. Panelists often pointed blame for the lack of diversity on the Walk at the administration and President Sheldon Hackney. "I don't think that Hackney is a bad guy," Dias said. "[He is] sometimes misguided." While the issues of the Mayor's Scholarships and ROTC were not given the same time as Locust Walk issues, panelists did make a few points regarding them. Many students argued that the presence of ROTC violates a University policy stating that groups cannot discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation, and said the group should be kicked off campus. However, Reed defended the organization's presence, saying the problem needed to be solved by the government, not the University. "Saying 'it's ROTC, the symbol of homophobia, let's get it off our campus' does not cure the national aspect of the issue," Reed said. Members of the audience said they felt the forum was a worthwhile gathering. "It's a shame that Logan 17 wasn't packed . . . it could have been a vibrant forum," Wharton junior Neil Sheth said. While the discussion ended with some ideas of compromise, specifically with words of goodwill between Wiesen and Blount, Blount said he believes all the organizations involved "need to take part in productive discussion."