Wharton Graduate Admissions Director John Enyart stepped down from his position last week. Catherine Molony, associate director of Wharton's executive Masters of Business Administration, will serve as acting director until a permanent replacement is found. Enyart will formally resign from his position at the end of the semester in order to pursue a "more senior position at the university level," Enyart said this week. Isik Inselbag, director of Wharton's graduate division, said he was surprised by the abruptness of last week's announcement because he said it is a critical time of year. "He told me on Friday [February 7] and resigned on Monday the tenth," he said. "But you never know how long he was contemplating doing this. He might have told me at the last minute, but he might have been planning to step down for quite a while." Enyart said he felt the release of information regarding his resignation was abrupt and badly handled, causing a disturbance among the student body. However, he said "things are great -- there is no turmoil." Inselbag said that Molony is taking over now "to make the transition smooth." Both Enyart and Inselbag said this is the perfect time to step down. "Recruiting is finished and it's time to start strategic planning for next year's class," Enyart said. "It's the perfect time in . . . our internal business cycle for me to step down." "We are in the middle of the process, but there are stages," Inselbag said. "This is the right time, if one is leaving admissions, to leave." Under Enyart, the recruitment phase of this year's admissions process has been completed. In order to ensure that the same person is in charge during the following two stages -- selection and yield, during which next year's class will be selected and encouraged to enroll -- Molony is taking over now. Enyart has held the position for three and a half years and said he has been "the longest reigning admissions director in 35 years." "I've made something like 22,000 [admissions] decisions," Enyart said. Inselbag said Enyart is a "very energetic and dedicated person" who added a lot to the program. "Applications have increased 15 percent since last year and inquiries to our office have gone up by about 50 percent," Inselbag said. Both Enyart and Inselbag said they are confident that they will find a qualified replacement. "In the admissions industry, this is one of the top jobs," said Enyart. "There will be many excellent people interested in this position." Inselbag said Enyart is a great asset who will be difficult to replace. "But we're the Wharton School and I'm sure we'll find the right person to move us ahead," Inselbag said. Molony was chosen to serve as interim director because of her experience. She previously served as Associate Director of Admissions for the Wharton Graduate Division. "It's been a great and wild ride for me and will be that for the next person," Enyart said. (CUT LINE) Please see WHARTON, page 5 WHARTON, from page 1