Finding a job will be especially difficult for international students this summer. Speaking about new working restrictions in United States immigration law, a panel of lawyers and University advisors addressed a group of nearly 60 University students Wednesday evening in Steinberg-Dietrich Hall. First summarizing the amendments to the Immigration Act of 1990, Philadelphia immigration lawyer discussed how they restrict the off-campus working options of international students. Baumann said that these students can work at on-campus jobs only for up to 20 hours per week or at "commercial entities" serving University students. Consequently, many international students will not be able to find off-campus jobs this summer, said Baumann. The new immigration law restrictions were put into effect in order to protect American jobs, but according to Baumann, international students have only a negligible effect on the U.S. economy. Dubbing the new law the "McDonald's" law, Baumann said that only those off-campus companies which have difficulty finding American applicants would likely go through the tremendous paperwork involved in hiring a foreign student. "For a highly skilled job, employers will be reluctant to fill out attestations . . . only employers like McDonalds will want to recruit," Baumann said. Pointing out loopholes in the new law, Baumann then suggested ways in which international students can still find off-campus jobs. The lawyer spoke about F-1 Curricular Practical training, a provision in the immigration law allowing international students to work off campus as an integral part of their curriculum. But Martin Muoto, former president of the International Students Association, said the University discourages internships. He added that his organization recently sent a letter to deans of the four undergraduate schools suggesting that the University offer internship courses. "They would encourage both foreign and American students to take on the challenge of working abroad," said Muoto, a College junior. These internship courses, according to Muoto, might qualify international students to apply for F-1 Curricular Practical Training. Furthermore, Baumann suggested that international students may wish to change their F-1 student visas to more permanent J-1 or H-1 visas, which might help them obtain off-campus employment more easily. Ron Klasco, a Philadelphia immigration lawyer from Dechert Price and Rhoads, followed Baumann's discussion with an extensive talk about how to obtain a permanent work permit, an H-1 Visa. Advisors from the Offices of International Programs and Career Planning and Placement then discussed the University's position on the new restrictions and offered some innovative solutions to summer job dilemmas. Mary Heiberger from CPPS suggested that international students look into unpaid internships instead of paying jobs. "We're still digesting some of the alternatives we have," said Heiberger. "Unpaid experience has the same career-building effect." Heiberger also suggested that international students might look for work at a U.S.-based company in their native countries. Students attending the lecture, many of whom were international students, found it informative. Wharton senior Chris Rodskog said he was distressed by the new legislation, but he found the lecture useful. "What they told me about the rules was sort of depressing," said Rodskog. "What they told me from a practical point of view was very helpful." College sophomore Pronab Saha said the lecture gave him some insights. "I think it was informative," said Saha. "It informed us about the loopholes and what to be aware of."