At the same time they are students, taking classes, studying, doing research, and working on their dissertations. Their work for professors must allow time for their work in pursuit of a degree. The new compact should do an excellent job of clarifying the specifics of graduate student employment, should a professor and student disagree at a later date. It will detail how much a T.A. is to be paid, what tasks a research assistant is to perform, how much credit a student will share with a professor on a forthcoming publication, and what a professor can expect. But the compact could also heighten awareness of the graduate student as a professional assistant, rather than a personal aide. "Taking professor's clothes to dry cleaners" will hopefully not appear in the section listing a student's responsibilities. Neither will "Discuss intimate details of personal life with supervisor" or "Socialize with advisor during off hours." We hope as many departments as possible -- and as many schools as possible -- will quickly sign on to the compact idea. Soon, this simple one-page form may guarantee that professors get what they expect, and students get what they deserve.