Damn hot. But there was more to Philadelphia and the University in the summer than just frying asphalt and sweaty bodies. In between seniors graduating in the & spring and freshman arriving in the fall comes three months of summer, which, this year, was a period of transition beyond just the annual migration of students. In July, the city lost a legendary political figure in the middle of an startling come - back bid for the mayor's office. Republican mayoral candidate Frank Rizzo suffered & massive cardiac arrest and was pro - nounced dead later that day, leaving Phi - ladelphians shocked. Some mourned and some rejoyced at the death of a man who has been termed the city's best leader and its worst villian. And while the School of Arts and Sci - ences gained a dean in July, the University lost a high-profile Judicial Inquiry Officer in the same month. History and Sociology of Science Profes - sor Rosemary Stevens was named dean of the School of Arts and Sciences in July, replacing Hugo Sonnenschein, who left to become provost of Princeton University. In late July, JIO Constance Goodman announced she would step down from her post in September to serve as associate secretary. Goodman had investigated and prose - cuted several of the University's most & prominent incidents in her five-year tenure, including the Castle kidnapping and the 1988 Zeta Beta Tau stripper incident. After months of political wrangling in & Harrisburg, the state came through with University funding it had threaten to cut only six months before. In August, the Pennsylvania state legisla - ture approved a $13.9 billion budget with no reductions in University funding for the 1991 fiscal year. This came after Gov. Robert Casey had proposed drastic cuts in the University's allocation in February, which may have & forced administrators to adopt a number of severe budget cutbacks. In a statement, President Sheldon Hack - ney said the funds would help ensure the University's ability to support need-blind admissions for hundreds of students. Four Philadelphia men were arrested in connection with the unrelated Center City shooting deaths of two University students in August. 22-year-old Robert Janke, a student in a College of General Studies pre-med prog - ram, was shot in the head on August 10 at the corner of 17th and South streets. In a separate incident, Tae Jung Ho, a 24-year-old student from Korea who was taking intensive English classes at the Uni - versity, was shot in the chest on August 22 near the corner of Walnut and 22nd streets. In late August, a malfunctioning air con - ditioner caused a flood which soaked 14,000 books on the 4th and 5th floors of Van Pelt Library. The flood, which forced the west end of both the 4th and 5th floors to close, did the most damage to the East Asian and Music collections. -- Robert Botel and Michael Sirolly