Mitch Winston has changed his mind. The Undergraduate Assembly chairperson -- whose main purpose is to represent undergraduates' interests at the University -- no longer thinks ROTC has a place on this campus. Winston said last night that because U.S. Defense Secretary Dick Cheney said he does not plan to change the military's anti-homosexual policy, he has decided to support a University Council resolution to kick the Reserve Officer's Training Corps off campus in 1993. Cheney told 600 students and faculty at a speech on campus yesterday that he supports the military's stance that homosexuality is "incompatible" with military service and does not plan to change the guideline. The Council resolution, which was passed at last month's meeting, recommended that President Sheldon Hackney kick the University's Army and Naval ROTC units off campus in 1993 if the Defense Department does not change its policy. Winston voted against the resolution with four other UA representatives. The five UA members were the only Council members not to demand ROTC's removal. But while the other UA members still vowed to protect the position of ROTC on campus, Winston said he thinks the University must remove the units if the Defense Department does not change. "If Cheney said he's not planning to change the policy anytime soon, it seems a lost cause," Winston said yesterday. "And I tend to sway over to the side of kicking them off campus." "[Before] I looked at it as a permanent solution to a temporary problem, but since it's to be a permanent problem we need a permanent solution," Winston added. But last night, other UA members maintained their stance that kicking ROTC off campus would hurt undergraduates more than help them. These representatives have said it is better to change the policy from within the system than from outside. "If you think about it, Bush's term is only for four years," UA Vice Chairperson Ethan Youderian said. "Dick Cheney's not always going to be Secretary of Defense and it's always better to be in than out." Youderian, who voted to preserve the units at last month's Council meeting, said his view represents the opinion of most undergraduates on campus. And UA member David Rose, who said he is not at all surprised by Cheney's statement, said by removing ROTC many people may feel the University has settled the issue, while actually there is still a lot of work to be done to change the federal policy. "A lot of people will take this as a quick fix and let the issue go," Rose said. "But the real role of the University is being a true activist in seeking a solution." UA Steering member You-Lee Kim, who was the only UA representative who voted in favor of the Council resolution to kick ROTC units off campus, could not be reached for comment last night.