An autopsy performed on the employee later Monday revealed that he died of a gunshot wound to the chest despite efforts by HUP doctors to revive him for nearly 30 minutes, officials said. And a spokesperson for the Medical Examiner's office said yesterday that 33-year old Greg Mumford was still alive when he was wheeled into HUP's emergency room at 3:37 a.m. Monday. Mumford, a HUP employee of 15 years, was shot by one of three male attackers who were robbing his car and wallet early Monday morning near the corner of 45th and Baltimore streets. Police responded to a report of a man screaming in Clark Park on 43rd and Baltimore streets and found Mumford standing in the middle of Baltimore Street. Police took Mumford to his house on the 800 block of S. 49th Street to get registration papers for his car when he collapsed on his porch. The spokesperson for the Medical Examiner's office would not speculate if Mumford's life could have been saved if he had been taken directly to the hospital. "I can't do that," the spokesperson said. "I can't sit here and play God." A Philadelphia Police spokesperson also said yesterday that a preliminary investigation of the incident by the department has revealed that Mumford never told police officers that he had been injured. "The officers were not informed [that Mumford had been shot]," the spokesperson said. Police said if Mumford was shot with a small caliber pistol, he might not have realized he was injured. Police also said that while such incidents are not common, victims occasionally do not realize they have been shot even minutes after the incident. "I've seen cases as a policeman where [victims don't realize they have been shot]," the police spokesman said, adding that the victim might have been so excited by the incident, that he never felt the pain. "With a small caliber gun, a man can be shot an easily not know it," he added. The medical examiner's spokesman agreed, stating that "it's not outside the realm of possibilities" for Mumford to unknowingly have been shot. Mumford was taken to the emergency room, but was pronounced dead in the operating room at 4:06 a.m. Monday, the spokesperson said.