How do you get a group of 7th graders up at 9 a.m. on a Saturday morning to learn? Tell them they will dissect cow eyes. Each Saturday morning approximately 40 7th graders from West Philadelphia middle schools gather for animal dissections and other experiments at the Lincoln University Young Scholars Program at the Urban Education Center at 46th and Market streets. The University helps Lincoln by supplying teachers and assistants. The program, funded by the National Science Foundation, is designed to foster interest in science at an early age, according to program coordinator James Kennedy. "We see a national need to develop scientists, engineers, and mathematicians," Kennedy said. "What we're attempting to do is . . . steer the youngsters in [that] direction." Program instructor Pam Conrad, an Optometry graduate student, said that by introducing the students to the sciences at an early age, their attitude is "what can I get out of this," as opposed to "what do I have to do to pass." College freshman David Wright, who is a teaching assistant in the program, said the program is "capturing" the students' minds at a young age. "It gives them a lot of belief in their inner-strength and their own abilities," Wright said. Kennedy said there is a need for such a program because of the poor state of science education in the U.S.. But he expressed frustration that for every Young Scholar accepted, 10 "equally-as-able" students had to be turned down because of lack of funds. "There is a tremendous need for this type of enrichment," Kennedy said. The program focuses on the five senses and their relation to the sciences, using a hands-on approach to learning. The subjects the program covers are usually taught at a high school level -- biology, physics, geometry and algebra. Furthermore, the teachers relate the subjects as they present the material. For example, on Saturday, the students participated in a bovine eye dissection to learn the biology of an eye as well as physical properties of a lens. Instructors were pleased with the outcome of the dissection. "I see lots of pairs of surgeons hands in here," Neurosciences PhD student David Calkins told the class. Students were equally as excited with the dissection. When Calkins offered an extra cow eye to dissect, more than half the students raised their hands and begged for another opportunity. A sheep's brain dissection is now being planned for the students. Also on Saturday, Chaka Fattah, a state senator running for U.S. Congress, briefly spoke to the students. In his 15 minute talk, Fattah said education needs to be a "primary" concern at the national level. He added that President Bush's current education plan is "all words [and] no money." If no new internal priorities are set, Fattah concluded, "We're not going to be able to compete." The program is also trying to enlist outside help with the scientific theme, according to student counselor Kareen Sampson. The goal is to to pair each student with a mentor who would provide the students with "buddies" and give them "new experiences." Both teachers and students believe that so far, the four-week-old program has been a resounding success. "The kids are incredibly excited and enthusiastic," Calkins said. "They have lots and lots of energy." "I'd rather come here every day than [go to] regular school," comments Scott, a student from Mya Middle School. Fatima, a Turner Middle School student, adds "only five people were chosen out of my school. You should feel special."