The big day, Tuesday, is almost here. But May 21 is not just a big day for those University graduates who will be celebrating in the streets surrounding Franklin Field. It is also the first stop on the road to City Hall for the seven men vying to be Philadelphia's next mayor. Thousands across the city will go to the polls Tuesday to narrow the Democratic and Republican fields down for the final leg of the race for City Hall. All involved agree that the outcome of this election is critical to the city's future. Over the next few years, Philadelphia will show whether the nation's older cities, many of which will or are facing similar financial crises, can climb their way out of the morass. Indeed, the path chosen by Philadelphia, if successful, could set the stage or other municipal finance stabilizations. And though the candidates on both sides have pledged to keep the issue of race out of the campaign, it is obvious that, to some extent, the two black candidates and five white candidates appeal to separate constituencies in a city which has historically been racially divided. This election is also unique because political observers say this is the first time since the 1950s that the Republican party could take over City Hall. Republican party boss William Meehan has seen his opportunity and recruited former district attorney Ron Castille -- who last won as D.A. by an overwhelming margin -- to be the party's endorsed candidate. Castille, however, has seemed to be a reluctant candidate to many voters and is depending largely on the party's organization to bring him through. He is running against former mayor and police commissioner Frank Rizzo who, after years in the political arena, will be depending on his traditional support from white ethnic neighborhoods and hoping a call for crime-free streets will bring out the voters. The last Republican is Sam Katz, a young financial whiz with little formal organization on his side. He has helped with financial revitalization in other cities and is counting on that experience to swing support his way. The Democrats have many familiar faces running on their side, including two former City Council members and a former D.A. University alum Ed Rendell, the former D.A., carries a lead according to recent polls published in the Philadelphia Daily News. The 1965 College graduate has received the endorsement of both the Daily News and The Philadelphia Inquirer. The two top black Democratic candidates in recent polls, George Burrell and Lucien Blackwell, both have ties to the University. Burrell is an alumnus, while Blackwell is the former Council member for this district. Burrell, a former at-large Council member, seems to be working for the votes of more educated citizens, while Blackwell is a strong union supporter and working to be the candidate of the working class. James White, a third black candidate, dropped out of the race last week. One of the white Democrats, Peter Hearn has led the call for new blood in city government. Hearn, a well-known city lawyer and former chancellor of the Bar Association, has run on a platform of new ideas.