ua-group-pic-1

The Undergraduate Assembly reflected on last semester's accomplishments, but are still pushing for more transparency and interaction with their constituents this spring. (Photo from Michael Krone)

Student leaders of the Undergraduate Assembly plan to build on their goals from last semester to increase transparency and civic engagement this spring.

UA Vice President and College junior Jordan Andrews said making the UA more accessible to students was one of their central campaign promises, adding that the UA will continue to address this with new initiatives this semester. 

To further boost transparency, UA Speaker and College junior Brian Goldstein said the UA hopes to hold an open forum meeting at the end of January and they will make efforts to increase undergraduate attendance.

“All of the UA meetings are open to everyone, but people tend to not show up,” Goldstein said. “This would be a normal meeting, but we’d have a stronger focus on getting people there.”

UA President and College senior Michael Krone (right) with UA Vice President and College junior Jordan Andrews (left). (From Michael Krone)

This spring, the UA also plans to focus on engagement with the greater Philadelphia. UA President and College senior Michael Krone said the group is looking at ways to expand SEPTA access for Penn students to make the city more accessible. Goldstein added that the UA aims to work with the Netter Center to better reach out to the West Philadelphia community.

The UA is also aiming to make more progress with reforming the competitive nature of club recruitment by creating more online resources.

“We can figure out alternative ways to welcome people to our communities on campus and not make people feel rejected from their first few weeks at Penn,” Krone said.

Andrews said the UA intends to continue their tabling series, which was started in November 2018. Through the series, students can talk to their UA representatives on Locust Walk and offer suggestions or ask questions. Andrews said the tables are manned by a different UA committee each week and they have copies of the assembly’s annual reports and lists of ongoing projects.

Krone added that one of the UA’s most prominent achievements from last semester was collaborating with Penn Leads the Vote, which resulted in a significant increase in voter turnout on campus in the midterm elections in November 2018.

“I think that was really impactful for Penn students and the Philadelphia community,” he said.