jimkenney
Credit: Ilana Wurman

Following Donald Trump’s victory in the presidential election, Mayor Jim Kenney released a statement on Thursday regarding Philadelphia’s status as a sanctuary city, reported  Philly.com. The mayor vowed to keep Philly’s status as a haven for undocumented immigrants — something that he himself reinstated after being sworn-in in early 2014.

Trump has expressed interest in eliminating federal funding for the over 200 cities and counties across the nation that do not cooperate with federal immigration officials on nearly all matters related to deporting undocumented immigrants.

Kenney has changed Philadelphia’s specific terminology from ‘sanctuary city’ to ‘Fourth Amendment city.’ “We respect and live up to the Fourth Amendment,” the mayor said, “which means you can’t be held against your will without a warrant from the court signed by a judge.”

According to Kenny, if Trump actually does remove federal funding from Philadelphia, “We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.” For the meantime, however, immigration officials have to get a warrant signed by a federal magistrate in order for the city to turn someone over, unless that person has been convicted of a violent felony.

Kenny also asked Philly citizens to “take a breath,” in response to the multiple anti-Trump rallies and increasing amounts of hateful graffiti across the city.

“It’s over and we have to move forward as a country,” he concluded.