clinton1

The Democratic Party brought out some all-stars in their final rally on Monday night, addressing some 30,000 people gathered in front of Independence Hall.

Credit: Mark Shtrakhman

The night before one of the most highly anticipated elections in modern history, Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton, former President Bill Clinton, Chelsea Clinton, First Lady Michelle Obama and President Barack Obama addressed 30,000 people in front of Independence Hall.

Before the rally, the Market-Frankford Line was filled with people wearing Obama and Clinton apparel and holding signs saying “Love Trumps Hate.” The SEPTA strike ended early Monday morning, just in time for people to take Market-Frankford Line and other SEPTA lines towards Independence Mall.

Singer and philanthropist Jon Bon Jovi was the first performer of the night, singing “Who Says You Can’t Go Home,” “Someday I’ll Be Saturday Night,” “Living On A Prayer” and “Here Comes the Sun” by The Beatles.

“Welcome! Take pictures because you have a front row seat to history,” Bon Jovi said. “With the eyes of the world upon us, tomorrow you will have to decide where this world is headed. Philadelphia has always been there for me during my singing career and I know you will be there for Mrs. C tomorrow.“

Bruce Springsteen sang classics such as “Thunder Road” and “Dancing in the Dark.” In between songs, he talked about Clinton and the important policy decisions she will make.

“Hillary sees that income distribution is at the forefront of the conversation,” Springsteen said. “Immigration reform needs to be handled realistically and compassionately.”

After Springsteen, the speeches began, starting with Chelsea Clinton.

“It is so exciting to see the enthusiasm from the thousands of people here,” she said. “I am so ridiculously proud of my mom. I am unapologetically biased toward my mom. After this campaign, I hope you can see why I am so proud of her.”

Chelsea Clinton introduced the next guest, her father and former President Bill Clinton.

“This country began here. Right here,” he said. “People fought so hard, right here, to create a more perfect union.”

Independence Hall, the building where the founding fathers debated and adopted the United States Constitution, shined brightly behind the large crowd. Bill Clinton introduced First Lady Michelle Obama, who talked about making history again.

“This is probably the last and one of the most important things I could do as First Lady,” Michelle Obama said as she explained her support for Hillary Clinton. Michelle Obama also introduced her husband, President Barack Obama.

“I am so proud of what he has done for our country and how he has done it,” she said. “He has always gone high when they have gone low. He has shown what grace, dignity and intelligence look like. I want to introduce the love of my life, Barack Obama.”

President Obama, who called himself a skinny guy with a funny name, talked about the advantages of a Democratic president.

“Since Bill is here, I did some math, a little arithmetic,” President Obama said. “Under the last two Republican presidents, job-growth flattened, deficits went up. Over our two Democratic presidents, jobs went up by more than 30 million, deficits went down, and millions of people got health insurance. With Democrats in charge America is stronger.”

Hillary Clinton made her final argument on why she should be the first woman president of the United States, specifically talking about the issues and values that people will also be voting for.

“There is a clear choice in this election,” Hillary Clinton explained. The choice is between unity or division. The choice is between an economy that works for everyone or only those at the top. The choice is between strong, steady leadership or a loose cannon who would put everything at risk.”

All of the performers and speakers called for the importance of voting on Election Day on Nov. 8.

“Tomorrow we face the test of our time. What will we vote for?” Hillary Clinton said. “While my name and my opponents name are on the ballot, every issue you care about is on the ballot.” If you believe that America thrives when the middle class thrives, you have to vote. If you believe college should be more affordable, then you have to vote.”