locust_walk

Arthur Halim, a student in the Huntsman Program in International Studies and Business died on July 30.

Wharton and College undergraduate Arthur Halim died on July 30 after battling a “long illness,” according to an email sent on Wednesday to the Wharton undergraduate student community by Vice Dean Lori Rosenkopf. He was 21 years old.

Halim entered Penn as part of the Class of 2016 and was a member of the Huntsman Program in International Studies and Business, but later took some time off from school, the email said. On QuakerNet, a directory of Penn alumni and current students, Halim was listed as a member of the Class of 2018 scheduled to graduate with degrees from the College and Wharton.

“Every story of Arthur's friends all share similar, if not the same, theme: a kind-hearted, generous man that touched a variety of lives through his eagerness to reach out and help others selflessly,” Halim’s father, Amin, said in a quote printed in Rosenkopf’s email. Amin is planning a memorial service for his son in Beaverton, Ore., the email added.

At Penn, Halim was a member of the Lambda Phi Epsilon fraternity, Grace Covenant Church and the Penn Taiwanese Society, among other organizations. 

“Arthur’s community spanned continents,” Rosenkopf wrote. “His passion for learning was evident in the classroom and through his work as a research assistant.”

Halim did research in Wharton’s Management department from May to August 2013 and interned at PT. Lautandhana Securindo, an investment management company in Indonesia, from May to July 2014, according to his LinkedIn profile.

In another quote included in the email sent to Wharton students, Halim’s father described his fight with illness and his strength amid declining health.

“During hospitalization, he remained steadfast to the end. Despite the pain he endured, he continued to ask visitors how they were doing and smile in their presence,” Amin said. “His love for everyone was clear to see.”

This story was last updated on Wednesday, Aug. 3 at 4:05 p.m.

If you wish to comment on this story, please contact City News Editor Dan Spinelli at spinelli@thedp.com