09152014_einsteinbagels010
Einstein Bagels Credit: Yolanda Chen , Yolanda Chen

Penn’s recent announcement to replace Einstein Bagel Bros with Pure Fare, an organic restaurant, was made to satisfy student desires for healthier eating.

The decision, which has elicited mixed reactions from students, follows a major survey by Penn Business Services, which found that students had growing interests in gluten-free, vegan and organic foods.

“We wanted to answer to the growing population that wanted to eat healthy,” Director of Hospitality Services Pamela Lampitt said.

Lampitt added that interviews with numerous students about their food preferences, including members of the Undergraduate Assembly’s dining council, also contributed to the decision to install Pure Fare in Houston Hall.

Pure Fare is slated to open some time in the spring semester, and will serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. The restaurant, which would be included on Penn’s Dining Dollar$ plan, will also serve pressed juice and have a smoothie bar.

Kriti Sehgal, a 2005 College graduate, started Pure Fare three and a half years ago with her twin brother Kunal Sehgal. Pure Fare serves organic, locally farmed products in a fast casual dining setting. The restaurant does not use ingredients such as white sugar or flour, and instead uses colorful alternatives such as avocados, cauliflower and papayas.

“We touch every part of the production process,” Kriti Sehgal said. “Our mission is to make sure food is nourishing, delicious and fun.”

Despite Business Services’ survey findings that students are interested in healthier dining options, several students are upset to see Einstein Bros leave.

“I disagree with the decision because [Pure Fare] caters to a much smaller section of the student population,” College sophomore Leah Goldberg said.

“This campus needs to be cheaper, not more upscale,” College sophomore Joe Sagemen added.

However, some students are excited for the change.

“Pure Fare is replacing [Einstein], I love it,” College junior Julie Macdonough said.