4grc0ec7
The Goddard Building on Hamilton Walk was recently named a National Historical Landmark.

Next time students stroll down Hamilton Walk, they will pass a piece of architectural history.

The Alfred Newton Richards Medical Research Laboratory and the adjacent David Goddard Laboratories were designated a National Historic Landmark two weeks ago by U.S. Secretary of the Interior John Kempthorne. The building is one of nine new landmarks Kempthorne added to a list of fewer than 2,500 buildings nationwide bearing the same designation.

Kempthorne named the building a landmark for its significant contribution to architectural history "as one of the most important works of mid-20th-century American modernism" and a launching pad for the lucrative career of architect Louis Kahn, according to a press release.

The building - the final part of which was completed in 1964 - marks Kahn's first to be named a landmark.

According to University Architect David Hollenberg, approximately 10 months passed between the building's nomination and confirmation as a landmark.

Landmark status is considered the most important recognition that an architectural work can attain, according to the National Historic Landmarks Program's Web site.

The site also explains that landmarks are selected based on a variety of criteria, such as national historical significance, distinguishing characteristics and scientific importance.

Richards and Goddard Labs was chosen for its distinguishing characteristics that reflect a particular architectural period or style, according to Art History Department chairman David Brownlee.

Brownlee, a Louis Kahn scholar who wrote a letter in support of the nomination, added that an exhibit about the building at the Museum of Modern Art helped it achieve the recognition.

According to Hollenberg, Brownlee had predicted the nomination would be a "slam dunk."

The proposal encountered some resistance, however, because the building's age is younger than the requisite 50 years.

But Brownlee said he "was confident the whole time," explaining that the 50-year minimum is more of a general ideal than an absolute rule.

Still, not everyone appreciates the building's significance.

College sophomore Dacy Knight, who has class in Goddard Labs, said he was surprised to learn of the designation "because the building doesn't seem that impressive."

While landmarks qualify for a number of renovation grants, Hollenberg said the University did not submit the nomination for any rewards beyond the landmark recognition.

"We should be proud - we should feel responsible," Brownlee said. "It's a great day."

Related StoriesGroup fights to make lab a landmark - News