j607g0f9
The Radian is nearing completion.

In just under two years, the pieces have finally fallen into place.

On Aug. 31, residents of the Radian - a 14-story apartment building located at 39th and Walnut streets - will move into the new building. Though construction crews are still working on the building this week, students who will live in the Radian say they are excited about their new home.

According to Radian developer Inland American Communities Group, construction crews continue to work on the retail portion of the building, but the residential parts are complete.

The building broke ground in spring 2007 and was 100-percent leased six months prior to its opening, a sign that potential residents were in a rush to secure a spot in the building.

Inland said it was pleased with the completion of the project.

"We are proud of our collaborative partnership with the University of Pennsylvania to create the Radian, a true benchmark for our future student housing communities," Rachel Kihn, vice-president of marketing for Inland, wrote in an e-mail.

"We believe we have provided students with a unique opportunity to live, study, work and socialize in a cutting edge environment," she added.

Michael Ottavi-Brannon, an Engineering sophomore, expressed some concern about the building being ready for move in on Aug. 31.

"I haven't received much information about Radian's completion, and classes are only a few days away," Ottavi-Brannon said.

Still, Ottavi-Brannon - who lived in Kings Court/English House last year - said he is eager to experience living in the upscale new facility.

"I'm excited about it," Ottavi-Brannon said. "I think it's going to be a great experience."

The Radian offers students off-campus luxuries in a location that is virtually on-campus. Residents will enjoy fully furnished apartments that include full-sized beds, a washer/dryer, cable and high-speed internet in every room.

Other amenities offered are an HDTV lounge, a state-of-the-art fitness center, a city-view clubroom and an Internet cafe with a coffee bar. The Radian's ground floor will house a CVS Pharmacy, Capogiro Gelato Artisans and gourmet sandwich shop Jimmy John's.

College sophomore Darren Sinatro said the Radian's location would be an improvement from his previous residence in King's Court.

"I know it's a nicer place to be, and it's closer to the buildings I need to get to," Sinatro said. "You have the benefit of off-campus living, but it's still basically right on campus."

Nichole D'Amico, a sophomore in the School of Nursing, echoed similar sentiments about the convenience of the Radian's location.

"Living in the Radian is a great opportunity," she said. "You're next to the grocery store, and you have your own gym. You really don't have to go far."

*This article was corrected at 8:28 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 29. We initially stated that the beds were king-sized; they are full-sized. We also stated that the building was 40,000 square feet; there are 40,000 square-feet in the street-level retail space alone.

Related StoriesMixed reviews for Radian design - NewsEven off campus, RA-figures plan events - NewsRadian residents meet and greet - News