Students who find themselves confronting legal issues have options besides consulting their pre-law friends or paying pricy bills.

Unbeknownst to many, for the past five years, the Undergraduate Assembly and the Graduate and Professional Students Assembly have been sponsoring a legal services program that is free for all undergraduate and graduate students.

"It gives students access to a legal professional when they might not otherwise" have access to one, GAPSA Chairman Rob Alvarez said.

Last academic year, roughly 60 students utilized the program, seeking advice about issues including traffic tickets, assault, international visas and business ventures.

But despite the program's history on campus, many students do not even know it exists.

"I consider myself fairly well informed of events on campus, and I don't know anything about it," College sophomore Bryan Fields said.

However, Fields did say that if he were forced to confront a legal issue, he would take advantage of the program.

The process that Fields would participate in if he faced a legal dilemma begins with an application process. Any issue, with the exception of a complaint against the University or a problem with an off-campus housing tenant, justifies a consultation with an accredited lawyer. Students who already have a lawyer are also precluded from this service.

With the exception of these instances, "nobody gets rejected on the basis of content," said Fran Walker, the director of Student Life at Penn.

Those approved for the services are then able to meet with a lawyer for a half hour.

The purpose of the session is to provide the student with advice on the issue he or she is facing.

"You're not getting represented by the attorney," UA member and College junior Jason Levine said, specifying the role that this service plays in the legal process for students.

Alvarez also emphasized the limitations of the session.

"It's not a situation where [students] have their own personal lawyer for three months -- it's just to answer the initial questions," he said.

But the lawyer can refer to the specific law that governs the student's issue, suggest further resources and "give [a student] his opinion" on his or her case, according to Levine.

After the initial free consultation, students may choose to seek different assistance or continue to use the provided lawyer for a fee.

Those involved with the service praise its utility.

"I'm pretty confident that the people that have used it really needed the service," said Jason Levy, a College senior and the chairman of the UA.

"It's good to know that it's really positively affected the numbers of people that have used it."

Alvarez also described the program as beneficial -- especially when the complexity of the American legal system is taken into account.

"The legal system in general can definitely be very overwhelming, especially for international students," he said.

Despite the benefits that the service brings to the Penn community, it has faced some problems in the past.

Student response to the program "varies depending upon publicity," Walker said.

Since many students are not well versed in the available services, an increase in awareness across campus could potentially increase the program's popularity.

"I've never even heard of it," said College sophomore Monica De Fabio, who added that she thinks it is a good idea and would use it if she were put in a position that required legal assistance.

However, publicity is not the only challenge that the program faces. Walker said that because the UA and GAPSA serve as the organizers, additional logistical issues have developed.

"Because it's a student program each year, there's a turnover and a new person has to learn the system," Walker said.