09-16-23-mens-soccer-vs-albany-ben-do-hannah-shumsky
Junior defender Ben Do keeps the ball away from a University at Albany forward on Sept. 16. Credit: Hannah Shumsky

It was a very busy weekend for many Penn teams, as Ivy League play is right around the corner. From bouts with Philadephia rivals, to contests against Big 10 foes, here's what went on in Penn sports this weekend. 

Volleyball

Volleyball (2-8) spent the weekend at the Delaware State Tournament finishing 1-2, picking up just their second win of the season. The team was shutout against Georgetown 0-3 and fell to Delaware State University 1-3 on Saturday. A couple of hours later they defeated New Jersey Institute of Technology 3-1. 

Although the Georgetown game was a sweep, all three sets were close, with Penn only scoring eight less total points in the game overall. However, against DSU, while Penn was able to win the first set 25-22, they failed to score more than 16 points in any of the next three sets. The Quakers dominated NJIT to finish the weekend. Outside of the one set they won, NJIT did not score more than 15 points.

Freshman right side hitter Bella Rittenberg led the way with 32 total kills on the weekend, and senior setter Jordan Armstrong added 73 assists. Sophomore libero and defensive specialist Abigail Reed, who earned an all-Ivy honorable mention last year, made her season debut this weekend after missing the first two weeks of the season due to an injury. She finished with 26 digs—18 of them coming in the win against NJIT. 

This weekend’s tournament concludes Penn’s out of conference play, and they will begin their Ivy League schedule next weekend as they host Princeton (3-5) on Friday at 7:00 p.m.

Women’s Soccer

The women’s team (4-3-1) drew Villanova (3-0-4) Thursday night at home. The game remained scoreless until ten minutes left when the Wildcats put one past the goalkeeper. Just over a minute later, a pass from senior forward Paige Kenton into the middle found the foot of freshman forward Abbey Cook for her first collegiate goal to tie the game at 1-1.

On Sunday Penn faced off against another crosstown rival as they traveled to Temple. Despite a late rally, Penn fell 2-1. The game remained scoreless until the 64th minute when Temple scored on a penalty kick. Penn had a chance to tie the game in the 69th when freshman midfielder Leah Finkelman’s header went just over the crossbar, and Temple would score again eleven minutes later to double the lead. Senior midfielder Lauren Teuschl scored her second goal of the season, but it was too little, too late, and Penn fell to the Owls.

Women’s soccer will open up Ivy League play at Columbia next Saturday at 6:00 pm.

Credit: Ellie Pirtle Senior midfielder Michael Hewes heads a corner kick in the 3-1 matchup against University at Albany on Sept. 16.

Men’s Soccer

Men’s soccer (2-2-1) finds themselves at .500 for the first time this season after a 3-1 victory over the University of Albany (3-4) in their home opener. Junior forward Stas Korzeniowski led the team with two goals, bringing him to three goals on the season — which is tied for the team high with senior midfielder Michael Hewes. 

Hewes picked up the assist on the first goal with a pass to the top of the box, which Korzeniowski hammered to the low left side, beating the Albany keeper in the tenth minute. Then, in the 41st, fellow senior midfielder Mateo Zazueta broke a 1-1 tie, scoring on a penalty kick before Korzeniowski earned the brace adding some insurance in the 72nd.

Penn’s defense held the UAlbany attack to just one shot on net the entire night. They have not allowed more than one goal in a game since the season opener against Fordham.

The Quakers will head back out on the road to face Loyola (0-1-5) on Tuesday before returning home to open up their Ivy League schedule against Yale (2-3) next Saturday at 7:00 p.m.

Sprint Football

Sprint football fell to Chestnut Hill 27-10, struggling to get anything going on either side of the ball. The defense allowed 344 yards and three touchdowns through the air. On the other side of the ball, Penn’s only touchdown came on a five-yard run from junior running back Tom Rebstock. In his first career start, junior quarterback Ty Scherer struggled to get it going, finishing 10-27 with two picks and adding 65 yards on the ground. The offense finished the day with 222 total yards.

Sophomore linebacker Charles Tauckus and junior wide receiver Adrian Montemayor were the two bright spots in the otherwise gloomy performance. Tauckus, who earned an All-CSFL honorable mention one season ago, finished with a team high of eight tackles, including 1.5 for a loss. Montemayor served as the team's kicker and punter, and also saw action in the defensive secondary and special teams units. He converted on a 22 yard field goal in the second quarter and also added a blocked punt and forced fumble. He was named the CSFL Special Teams Player of the Year last season.

The Quakers will look to rebound when they host Cornell (0-1) next Friday night at 7:00 p.m.

Cross Country

Cross Country traveled to Haverford, Pa. this weekend for the Main Line Invitational. Penn dominated the weekend, with the men’s team placing first and the women landing in second behind Villanova.

On the men's side, sophomore Dennis Fortuna led the way with a fifth place finish and a time of 20:02:0. Under 20 seconds later, his teammates, sophomore Nick Carpenter, freshman George Keen, and junior Vidhur Polam crossed the finish line in 11th, 12th and 13th, respectively. 

In the women’s race, Penn secured four top ten finishes, led by senior Zoe Shetty with a time of 17:20.8. Right behind her in sixth was sophomore Kelly Murray; in seventh, junior Miranda Schriver, and senior Phoebe White finished in ninth.

The team will split up next week with some traveling to Boston on Friday for the Battle in Beantown and others headed to Lehigh on Saturday for the Paul Short Invitational.

Field Hockey

Field hockey (2-4) dropped two close games this weekend against two Big 10 opponents. In the first game against Indiana (3-4), Penn dominated on the offensive side of the ball, out-shooting the Hoosiers 20-8, but were only able to muster one goal.

The goal from senior forward and midfielder Allison Kuzyk, coming with 6:10 left in the second quarter, tied the score at one a piece. With neither team able to break the stalemate, the game headed to a sudden death shootout. After Indiana put one past senior goaltender Frederique Wollaert, freshman midfielder Emily Stafford’s attempt was denied and Indiana snuck out with a win.  

On Sunday, the Quakers faced off against No. 3 ranked Northwestern (7-1). Northwestern’s offense stampeded Penn’s defense with 25 total shots. The Wildcat’s Lane Herbert contributed two goals. 

Down 3-0, Kuzyk scored her second goal of the season with 10 minutes left in the game. The goal was assisted by junior midfielder Sophie Freedman and was just the fourth goal allowed by Northwestern all season.

The Quakers will return home for their first Ivy League game of the season against Yale (2-4) Friday at 3:00 pm.

Men’s Golf

Men’s golf finished third this weekend at the Temple Invitational. The team was two strokes behind Rider University and eight behind crosstown rival and tournament champion Drexel. Penn finished first among the three Ivy League competitors. The other two were Cornell and Dartmouth.

The Quakers finished the weekend 14 over par shooting 574. The third place finish came in large part thanks to contributions from freshmen Hayden Adams and Max Fonseca. They finished at five and six over par, respectively.

Men’s golf will travel to East Hampton, N.Y. for the Hamptons Intercollegiate hosted by Loyola on Oct. 2-3.

Women’s Golf

The women’s team traveled to New Jersey this weekend for the Princeton Invitational. Despite heading into Sunday in second place, the team finished in fourth, one shot behind Harvard and ahead of the hosting Princeton Tigers. 

The team shot 878, which was good for 26 over par. Sophomores Julie Shin and Bridget O’Keefe had the best performances for the Quakers, finishing 10th and 15th, respectively.

Penn will look to build off their strong start as they head to Yale on Sept. 30.

Credit: Cynthia Dong Freshman Aaron Sandler serves against Yale’s Eric Li on Sept. 17, securing the win in three sets.

Men’s Tennis

Men’s tennis kicked off the season hosting the Penn Invitational. They won all three matches against Delaware, Temple and Yale. Penn went 6-3 in doubles play and 13-5 in singles matches

Freshman Parashar Bharadwaj went 4-1 in three singles matches and two doubles. Freshman Aaron Sandler, who paired up with Bharadwaj in a 7-6 doubles victory against Temple, finished undefeated in three doubles and three singles matches. 

The team will travel to UVA next weekend for the Virginia Invitational.

Women’s Tennis

This weekend, women’s tennis traveled to Williamsburg, Va. for the Tribe Invitational hosted by William & Mary. At the event, the Quakers competed across a number of brackets in both doubles and singles play. 

Freshman Esha Velaga and junior Eileen Wang were the only two bracket winners, with Velaga emerging victorious from the green bracket and Wang claiming the silver bracket. Velaga and Wang also made it to the finals in the Colonial Doubles Draw and were going to face off against their fellow teammates sophomore Maya Urata and senior Iris Gallo, but the final game of that bracket was abandoned.

Penn will come home next weekend as they host the Cissie Leary Invitational from Friday to Sunday.