02-16-23-wharton-huntsman-hall-abhiram-juvvadi
Director of Student Life for the Wharton Undergraduate School Lee Kramer has stepped down from his position after 19 years. Credit: Abhiram Juvvadi

The Wharton School Undergraduate Director of Student Life Lee Kramer has stepped down after more than 15 years in the position, according to a LinkedIn post made on June 27.

Kramer started at Penn in 2004 as the associate director in the Office of Student Affairs. He moved to Wharton in 2007, becoming the director of student life in the Wharton Undergraduate division. Kramer made the decision because he wanted to be able to think about his plans for the future, according to a statement he sent to The Daily Pennsylvanian. 

He plans to “take some time off and reflect on what my next chapter will entail and where I can make an impact,” according to his statement.

In his LinkedIn post, Kramer wrote that he had been honored to serve as Wharton’s director of student life and is proud that he was able to help make the Wharton undergraduate experience more inclusive and caring.

Kramer was motivated to become the director of student life due to his passion for student affairs and making education more equitable and inclusive.

“I have always believed in the power of education, specifically education as a way to make society a more equitable and inclusive one,” Kramer wrote to the DP. “Part of accomplishing this is creating a student community that is equitable, inclusive, compassionate, and connected to one another.”

As the director of student life, Kramer was responsible for overseeing the cohort system, class events, student mentoring programs, wellness and career initiatives, as well as the 50 approved Wharton undergraduate clubs.

“Working with thousands of students over these 19 years has truly been the best part of my role here at Wharton — the students and alumni continue to inspire me and I have so enjoyed serving as their Director of Student Life for all these many years,” Kramer wrote.

Kramer advised student organizations such as the Wharton Council and Wharton affinity groups such as Black Wharton Undergraduate Association and the Wharton Alliance. He also oversaw the Wharton International Program and the Wharton Industry Exploration Program courses. 

“I will miss working with the Wharton undergraduates the most but I am excited to stay connected with them and cheer them on, both as students and alumni,” Kramer wrote.

Kramer encouraged students to continue working to make the Wharton undergraduate community more caring, compassionate, and inclusive. 

“Everyone is on their own journey so don’t pursue a club, concentration, or career because others want you to do so,” Kramer wrote. “You are part of an amazing Wharton/Penn community and remember that you have so many people cheering you on and wanting the best for you … don’t be afraid to seek or ask for help.”