10-15-21-amen-brown-photo-from-tom-wolf-cc-by-2-0
Amen Brown represents District 10 in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives and is currently running for Philadelphia mayor (Photo from Tom Wolf | CC BY 2.0).

Amen Brown, who represents District 10 in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, is committed to reducing gun violence, bolstering economic growth, mitigating housing displacement, and improving Philadelphia's quality of life, according to his campaign website.

In July 2021, The Daily Pennsylvanian reported that Brown was facing allegations of deed fraud and breach of contract related to the purchase of a Philadelphia row house. More recently, The Philadelphia Inquirer investigated several financial documents, property records, and court filings and found that several of Brown's business and real estate dealings have been "mired in repeated accusations of legal and financial impropriety."

Despite these allegations, as a state representative for the West Philadelphia district neighboring Penn's campus, Brown negotiated an agreement to end “ghost gun” sales at Philadelphia gun shows. He has also sponsored legislation related to the provision of body-worn camera recordings this year and called for increased security measures to combat gun violence in Philadelphia schools.

Brown has also supported legislation for increased mandatory minimum sentencing requirements, according to The Philadelphia Citizen.

Brown writes on his campaign site that he prioritizes youth outreach and engagement in order to “create a space for young people to gain skills, have access to educational enrichment opportunities, and have a safe space to keep them out of trouble.” He cites his experience running daycares and afterschool programs as sources of this passion.

Brown's campaign did not respond to a request for comment by publication.