sloan-fellowship-courtesy-of-penn-today

Penn professors Edgar Dobriban (left), Robyn E. Saneron (middle), and Benjamin Scholl (right) were awarded this year’s Sloan Research Fellowship (Photo from Penn Today).

Three Penn professors have been awarded the 2023 Sloan Research Fellowship, which recognizes early-career scholars for their research achievements and leadership potential in scientific fields.  

Statistics and Computer and Information Science assistant professor Edgar Dobriban, Physics and Astronomy assistant professor Robyn Sanderson, and Perelman School of Medicine assistant professor Benjamin Scholl are among 125 recipients of this year’s Sloan Research Fellowship. 

The winners were selected across the United States and Canada for their research accomplishments, creativity, and potential to contribute substantially in seven disciplines, including chemistry, mathematics, and computer science. Fellows will receive a two-year $75,000 stipend to support their research. 

Dobriban, assistant professor of Statistics and Data Science with a secondary appointment in Computer and Information Science, received recognition in mathematics for his work on machine learning, random matrix theory, and uncertainty quantification. His research has been featured in journals such as Nature Communications and The Annals of Statistics.

Assistant Physics and Astronomy professor Sanderson was a recipient of the physics award. Her research group studies the characteristics of dark matter and the origin of our galaxies. She also holds a position as an associate research scientist in the Center for Computational Astrophysics at the Flatiron Institute in New York. 

Scholl, recipient of the neuroscience award, is a Neuroscience assistant professor. His research centers around synaptic networks and studying animal models for the development and dysfunction of functional connectivity. His work has been published in numerous prestigious journals, including Nature and Nature Neuroscience

129 Penn faculty members have received the Sloan Research Fellowship since the award’s founding in 1955. In 2022, two Penn Engineering professors received the award in chemistry and mathematics. 

“Sloan Research Fellows are shining examples of innovative and impactful research,” Adam F. Falk, president of the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, said in a statement. “We are thrilled to support their groundbreaking work and we look forward to following their continued success.”