01-10-23-schuylkill-yards-abhiram-juvvadi
Schuylkill Yards will be housing a new food hall, scheduled to open in the fall of 2023 and feature 16 food and beverage vendors. Credit: Abhiram Juvvadi

New York City-based public market developer Urbanspace will open a new food hall across from 30th Street Station in University City in coordination with Brandywine Realty Trust.

The food hall is scheduled to open in the fall of 2023. Occupying over 13,000 square feet of indoor space, the food hall will be located in the Bulletin Building, located at 3025 Market Street, and will feature 16 food and beverage vendors, according to a press release. Vendors will come from both the Philadelphia area and nationwide, although none have been announced yet. 

The Bulletin Building that will house the new food hall is located in Schuylkill Yards, a 14-acre development that features residential buildings, commercial properties, office spaces, and more. The neighborhood aims to serve as an innovation district for the surrounding University City and Philadelphia communities.

“What’s happening in Schuylkill Yards is transformative,” said Urbanspace President Eldon Scott in a press release. “We will be a community hub for the new offices, labs, apartments, and people connecting University City and downtown.”

Anthony Sorrentino, who serves as associate vice president in Penn's office of the executive vice president, described the food hall in a post on LinkedIn as an example of how "[t]he gateways between center city and university city are improving."

"[N]othing animates a place with people traffic the way food can," Sorrentino wrote. "So glad to see this announcement by Brandywine Realty."

In response to a request for comment, Sorrentino referred The Daily Pennsylvanian to spokespeople for Penn's Facilities and Real Estate Services, who wrote to the DP that FRES would not comment since the project is not part of their portfolio.

Urbanspace was founded in 1972 and creates spaces where customers can enjoy a range of cuisines. Brandywine Realty Trust is a real estate company that leases, manages, and develops properties, focusing on Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., and Austin, Texas markets.

Urbanspace currently has six locations in New York City, one in Chicago, and one in Northern Virginia. The upcoming Philadelphia location will be the first in the state. The company works to bring a unique dining experience to customers in support of entrepreneurship and creativity. It also aims to create a space where communities can come together and appreciate local cuisine. 

The food hall opening will coincide with the opening of another mixed-use property in the Schuylkill Yards neighborhood, 3025 JFK, featuring residential, life science, retail, and office space. 

“The addition of the Urbanspace food hall is an exciting step in delivering the master Schuylkill Yards vision,” said Jerry Sweeney, president and CEO of Brandywine Realty Trust, in a statement. “Not only will Urbanspace provide diverse local and national food and beverage offerings for Schuylkill Yards tenants and residents, but it will add great energy to the entire neighborhood — creating a vibrant gathering place for community members and visitors alike.”