liz-magill-inauguration-jesse-zhang

The inauguration of President Liz Magill will happen on Oct. 21, 2022.

Credit: Jesse Zhang

Penn announced that Liz Magill’s presidential inauguration is scheduled for Homecoming Weekend — Oct. 21 and 22.

The inauguration will feature a variety of events including a procession down Locust Walk, a 5K around Penn Park, and a pet-friendly walk with President Magill and her goldendoodle. The two-day program will represent Magill’s official installation as the University’s ninth president, according to the University’s announcement

The inauguration will also feature a conversation between Magill and U.S. Supreme Court Justice Elena Kagan. Though the conversation will be invite-only, live-stream options will be available from Irvine Auditorium and the inauguration website. 

Musical guests Jeff Tweedy and Sheryl Crow — two of Magill’s personal favorites — are scheduled to perform on College Green after the inauguration. Attendees can expect to pick up exclusive giveaways from local restaurants like Zahav, Federal Donuts, and Goldie, or sample a scoop of “Penn-augural Berry Chocolate Chunk” — Bassetts Ice Cream’s flavor custom made for the occasion.

In the inauguration announcement, Board of Trustees Chair Scott Bok called the newest Penn president “a leader of proven strength and a person of unquestionable principle.” 

“Her upcoming inauguration will reflect both the solemnity of this historic moment for our centuries-old University, as well as the wonderfully festive spirit that we all have come to know and love about Penn,” Bok wrote in the announcement. 

College junior and Undergraduate Assembly Vice President Alex Eapen and Undergraduate Assembly President and Wharton and College senior Carson Sheumaker wrote in a joint statement sent to The Daily Pennsylvanian that they believe this is a “really exciting moment” for the Penn community because the University has not had a presidential transition in 18 years. 

“President Magill’s inauguration will serve as an opportunity for Penn to gather and, together, reimagine our values, hopes, and visions for the future of our campus, our students, and our neighbors,” Eapen and Sheumaker wrote. 

Magill, who previously served as the University of Virginia’s provost and executive vice president, assumed the position on July 1. Gutmann’s successor was nominated on Jan. 13, and the Board of Trustees voted to confirm her nomination in March.