09-04-22-womens-soccer-vs-lehigh-sizzy-lawton-anna-vazhaeparambil
Senior Sizzy Lawton battles for possession against a Lehigh defender during the game at Rhodes Field on Sept. 4. Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil

Fall is here, and so are fall sports. Here's a look at all the Penn teams that competed over the weekend and how they fared.

Soccer

Men’s soccer got off to a hot start to both its season and its game on Friday night, scoring two goals in the opening 10 minutes. That was all the Quakers would need, as they took down Rider by a score of 2-1 at home at Rhodes Field. With the win, the Quakers are now 4-0 in season openers under coach Brian Gill. 

The Quakers were buoyed by their defense, only allowing one goal, and they even had some contributions on offense from their defense, as sophomore defender Leo Burney notched his second career goal. To put the Red and Blue over the top, junior Mateo Zazueta recorded his first career goal in only his second start. 

On the women’s side, the Quakers completed their third game of the season on Thursday night, but the result was the same as the first two: a tie. Playing at Villanova, a Peyton Raun goal off a Sizzy Lawton corner kick was not enough to put the Quakers over the Wildcats. 

With the draw, this marks the first time that Penn has opened its season 0-0-3. However, the Quakers would earn their first win of the 2022 season Sunday, with a 2-1 victory over Lehigh, with goals coming from Lauren Teuschl and Mallory Lucas. Although the season for both teams is still young, this weekend marks the last time this year that the men's team will play at Rhodes Field and the third-to-last time that the women's team will, as they'll both compete at Penn Park for the rest of their home matches. 

Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil Graduate student Ben Stitz looks to pass the ball around a Rider defender during the game at Rhodes Field on Sept. 2.

Volleyball

After an 8-15 finish in coach Meredith Schamun’s first season, Penn volleyball entered Labor Day Weekend looking to kick off a winning campaign. The Quakers traveled up north to the Bronx, N.Y. for the Rose Hill Classic. Over the course of two days, Penn played three matches.

On Friday, the Quakers dropped their lone contest to Niagara. Junior Madison Risch was a bright spot, pacing the team with 22 kills and 24.5 total points. Freshmen Abigail Reid and Anna Shohfi contributed on the defensive end, tallying 22 and 14 digs, respectively. 

After its season-opening loss, Penn split its two Saturday contests, falling to Fordham and beating Fairleigh Dickinson. The Quakers lost all three sets against the Rams. Risch once again led the team in kills with 12. 

Penn avoided the weekend sweep by defeating Fairleigh Dickinson in four sets. Seniors Madeline McGregor and Autumn Leak paced the team, combining for 27 kills. 

The Quakers’ next action will come on Friday, when the team travels to California to face Cal State Northridge.

Field Hockey

Penn field hockey kicked off its 2022 season with a pair of contests in the ACC/Ivy League Crossover in Chapel Hill, N.C. The Quakers dropped both contests in last year’s edition of the event, which took place in Princeton, N.J. 

In this year’s season opener, the Quakers lost a 4-1 contest to No. 9-ranked Louisville. Penn’s lone goal came from junior Lis Zandbergen on a penalty corner in the second quarter. Two Quakers split time in the cage for Penn. Sophomore Frederique Wollaert recorded one save in one half of play, and junior Hayley Hayden recorded two. 

Things did not get any easier for the Quakers on Sunday, as they dropped a 4-0 decision to the No. 2-ranked UNC Tar Heels. The Quakers will look forward to a much-needed three-game home stand, beginning Friday against Boston College.

Golf

At the Alex Lagowitz Memorial over the weekend in Hamilton, N.Y., Penn men's golf finished in 11th place out of 14 teams, but one particular Quaker competitor had a standout performance.

Fifth-year senior Mark Haghani notched a three-under-par performance, landing him in fifth among 90 total golfers. Last season, Haghani competed in all nine of Penn's tournaments and earned a team-low 72.3 stroke average, earning him a first-team All-Ivy nod.

The Lagowitz Memorial also marked Clay White's first competition as Penn men's golf head coach, just two and a half weeks after accepting the job.