daniel-barber-kimberly-bowes-guthrie-ramsey-paul-saint-amour

(Clockwise from top left) Professor of Architecture Daniel Barber, Classical Studies professor Kimberly Bowes, Professor Emeritus of Music Guthrie Ramsey, and English professor Paul Saint-Amour.

Four Penn professors have been named 2022 Guggenheim Fellows.

The faculty members — professor of Architecture Daniel Barber, Classical Studies professor Kimberly Bowes, Professor Emeritus of Music Guthrie Ramsey, and English professor Paul Saint-Amour were among the 180 scientists, writers, scholars, and artists selected from a pool of 2,500 applicants. 

The fellowship has been awarded annually by the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation since 1925. It provides funding for academics and artists across the United States and Canada, with the goal of aiding recipients' development and enabling them to conduct research "under the freest possible conditions."

Barber, who specializes in the environmental histories of architecture at the Weitzman School of Design, is one of the two fellows the foundation selected for the category of architecture, planning, & design.

His Guggenheim project, “Thermal Practices,” is focused on how to live in buildings after fossil-fuel energy sources are no longer socially viable, according to Penn Today. He is currently on leave from Penn to work as a senior research fellow at the Centre for Apocalyptic and Post-Apocalyptic Studies at Universität Heidelberg in Germany.

Professor Bowes is the sole fellowship recipient of the fellowship in the classics category. Bowes researches the archaeology and material culture of the Roman world, centering around the working poor. 

She was the editor and primary writer of a two-volume book published in 2021, “The Roman Peasant Project 2009-2015: Excavating the Roman Rural Poor," documenting the six-year archaeological excavation that Bowes co-directed.

One of two fellows selected in the category of music research, Ramsey is a music historian, pianist, and composer. He has also authored, co-authored, or edited four music history books and biographies

Additionally, Ramsey serves as the founding editor of the blog MusiQology.com, hosts a podcast, and has started a community arts initiative for underserved communities, called MusiQology Rx. He is also a producer, label head, and leader of the band Dr. Guy’s MusiQology, where he has multiple recording projects and has performed at multiple venues. 

Saint-Amour was selected in the literary criticism category, and studies 19th- and 20th-century British literature. His 2015 book, “Tense Future: Modernism, Total War, Encyclopedic Form,” won the Modernist Studies Association Book Prize and the Modern Language Association’s first Matei Calinescu Prize, Penn Today reported.

He is currently working on two projects: a personal essay series called “Attack Decay Sustain Release,” and a study titled "Does a Cliff Have a Face?" which explores the idea of obligation to the nonhuman.

Saint-Amour also serves as a trustee of the International James Joyce Foundation, sits on the faculty editorial board of the University of Pennsylvania Press, and holds a position on the supervising committee of the English Institute.

In 2021, Penn had only one professor named a Guggenheim Fellow, Julie Nelson Davis. Davis, an Art History professor, earned the fellowship for her work in 1770 to 1820 Japanese print culture and “Ukiyo-e,” artwork that depicts the "floating world."