2108-parcentree2-mm-095

President Amy Gutmann speaking at the University's 111th Convocation on Aug. 30.

Credit: Max Mester

Penn announced on Tuesday the formation of a committee to select Penn President Amy Gutmann’s successor.

Gutmann is set to depart her role after President Joe Biden nominated her to serve as the U.S. ambassador to Germany in July. Gutmann announced to the Penn community that she will continue to serve as president until June 30, 2022, or until the U.S. Senate confirms her as ambassador, which could accelerate her departure.

The Consultative Committee will consist of seven trustees, two deans, five faculty members, one staff member, one undergraduate, and one graduate student. The committee was formed by the Executive Committee of the Trustees, and will be charged with “seeking the advice of their respective constituencies on the challenges a new president might face, strategic priorities, and recommended strengths and experience for the new President," according to the Almanac.

Members of the Penn community can fill out a survey to nominate a candidate, list characteristics they hope to see in the next president, or describe challenges they see arising for Penn during the tenure of the next president.

University spokesperson Stephen MacCarthy did not respond to a request for comment and additional information.

College senior and Undergraduate Assembly President Tori Borlase is the sole undergraduate on the committee. Other Penn Student Government leaders called for the committee to include more undergraduate students, both from student government and elsewhere. 

Graduate and Professional Student Assembly President Paradorn Rummaneethorn will be the sole graduate student representative on the committee.

PSG leaders also called for Gutmann’s successor to prioritize expanding financial aid to international students, increasing support for first-generation, low-income students, and listening to student feedback on what initiatives to pursue.

“The goal of the Trustees, in which they seek the Committee’s assistance, and the Penn community’s input, is to identify the best individual to serve as the new president of this extraordinary institution,” Board of Trustees Chair Scott L. Bok wrote in Almanac.