Students sled down Locust Bridge on Feb. 1.

Credit: MAX MESTER

Most of the past 11 months have been spent inside. Online classes, remote work, and campus guidelines have confined many Penn students between four walls. And then, it snowed.

Winter Storm Orlena hit the East Coast from Jan. 31 to Feb. 2, bringing more snowfall to Philadelphia than all of last winter. While online classes were held as planned on the first two days of the storm — despite the University suspending on-campus operations — students still found the time to go outside with friends. From snowball fights to snowmen, here's what campus looked like.

Credit: Ezra Troy

The storm began on Jan. 31, quickly covering Locust Walk in a layer of snow.

Credit: Sukhmani Kaur

Two students built a snowman on College Green.

About 3 inches of snow fell in Philadelphia by the end of the day on Jan. 31.

Credit: Max Mester

Snow in front of Huntsman Hall was cleared away on the morning of Feb. 1.

Credit: Melanie Hilman

Many students took to high rise field throughout the day to have snowball fights and build snowmen, some of which towered 8-feet-tall.

Credit: Sukhmani Kaur

A group of students built a snowman atop a Spikeball net, completing the sculpture with a scarf and mask.

Credit: Marija Westfall

The storm lightened during the afternoon.

Credit: Kylie Cooper

Wharton sophomore Samantha Barraza (left) and College sophomore Aditi Singh named their snowman Tabatha.

Credit: Kylie Cooper

Snowballs — and sometimes chunks of snow — hurtled through the air, targeted toward friends and strangers alike.

Credit: Max Mester

A group of students played football on high rise field, sometimes toppling unsuspecting snowmen over.

Credit: Kylie Cooper

(Clockwise from bottom left) Nursing senior Anthony Scarpone-Lambert, College senior Henry Platt, College senior Hannah Lottenberg, and College junior Jadel Contreras posed with their snowman.

Around 5:00 p.m. EST, students began leaving high rise field.

Credit: Kylie Cooper

Snow continued to fall throughout the night and into Tuesday.