img-0327

Data from www.coronavirus.upenn.edu.

A total of 257 reports of students violating the University's COVID-19 protocols have been submitted to Penn's Campus Compact Review Panel since the beginning of the spring semester.

The Campus Compact Violation Data Dashboard, which will be updated monthly and was released on Friday, shows that 52% of reports that resulted in University intervention resulted in disciplinary sanctions, 33% in educational interventions, and 14% in campus restrictions. The Campus Compact outlines COVID-19 guideline compliance expectations for students living on or off campus.

Campus restrictions include students who have been removed from campus housing, had their Penn Cards deactivated, or were restricted from campus activities. Removing students from campus housing is a process that involves Student Intervention Services as well as the student’s parents, Chief Wellness Officer Benoit Dubé wrote in an emailed statement to The Daily Pennsylvanian on Feb. 22.

Dubé added that though there were 257 total reports, not all reports led to disciplinary action. 

Violations categorized as educational interventions led to an in-person meeting or phone call with the student or a meeting with student groups as a whole. For students who received disciplinary sanctions, they were suspended or referred to the Office of Student Conduct, their school advisor, or national headquarters for Greek-affiliated groups, according to the dashboard.

In meetings with Greek life members on Feb. 3, Associate Vice Provost for Student Affairs Tamara Greenfield King demanded that all members of fraternities in the Interfraternity Council, sororities in the Panhellenic Council, and identified off-campus organizations stop holding in-person social events. She added that OSC is handling a “significant amount of cases” linked to students attending in-person social events held by Greek organizations.

Any member of the Penn community can report an alleged violation of the Campus Compact to the panel for review via a form, after which the panel will determine whether or not it will address the violation directly or refer the violation to OSC for disciplinary review.

Penn remains at Campus Alert Level 2: Heightened Awareness on its four-level alert system, which guides the University's policies depending on the severity of the pandemic in the area. 

The University sent a message to the Penn community on Feb. 5 threatening a shift to Alert Level Three: Safer at Home. Dubé told the DP on Feb. 16 that the worrisome trends previously noticed "were not sustained, and there is no need to impose new restrictions this week."

Penn administered 16,743 total COVID-19 tests between Feb. 7 and Feb. 13, with a total positive headcount of 139 cases and an overall positivity rate of 1.07%.