ivy-league-testing-reqs
Credit: Ava Cruz

This is a developing story that was last updated at 8:57 p.m. on May 20. Please check back here for updates. 

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, many United States high schools and colleges closed or began teaching remotely for the remainder of the academic year. College Board and ACT testing agencies canceled and postponed multiple test dates in response to the outbreak, prompting many universities to change standardized test requirements for future applicants. 

Here are the up-to-date undergraduate standardized testing policies of all eight Ivy League institutions for the 2020-2021 admissions cycle, including SAT, ACT, Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, and English Language testing policies.  

University of Pennsylvania

In mid-May, Penn Admissions decided SAT Subject Tests will be optional, neither required nor recommended, for applicants in the 2020-2021 admissions cycle. Applicants who do not submit the tests will not be disadvantaged in the admissions process

“We believe these are responsible decisions, and we recognize the impact fewer test dates will have on students’ plans,” Penn Admissions stated in their ‘COVID-19 Updates’ page for prospective students. In previous years, all applicants were recommended to submit SAT Subject Tests. 

Students are still required to submit self-reported SAT or ACT scores. The writing portion of the ACT and the essay portion of the current SAT, however, are not required. Admitted students must submit their official score reports prior to enrolling in the University.

Students may submit AP, IB, and A-Level exam scores for possible University credit, which is awarded by department. 

TOEFL and IELTS scores, for students who are non-native English speakers or who attend school where the instruction language is not English, are still required, and must be submitted through official testing agencies. 

Brown University

Brown University will no longer recommend the submission of SAT Subject Tests for applicants to the Class of 2025. The Subject Tests will be considered as part of the application if submitted, but applicants who have not taken the tests will not be disadvantaged. 

Students are still required to submit SAT or ACT scores. The writing portion of the ACT and the essay portion of the current SAT, however, are not required.

For students attending secondary school in the United States, applications will be reviewed with official test scores sent directly to Brown or self-reported test scores on the Common Application or student applicant portal. For students attending secondary school outside of the United States, both self-reported and official test scores must be directly sent to the University.

Students applying to Brown may submit and use AP and IB exam scores to enroll in higher-level courses or to fulfill certain curriculum requirements.  

Brown Admissions highly recommends that international applicants take the TOEFL or IELTS test and arrange for the University to receive the official test results.

Columbia University

SAT Subject Test scores are optional for students applying to Columbia, and those who choose not to take the tests or submit test scores will not be disadvantaged in the school’s admission process. 

Students are still required to submit SAT or ACT test scores. The writing portion of the ACT and essay portion of the current SAT, however, are not required. Students may either self-report their test scores in the Common Application or Coalition Application, update their scores on the University application status page after submitting their application, or send score reports directly from their school.

AP and IB test scores are not required, but will be accepted if submitted through the Common Application or Coalition Application. Those who do not take these exams will not be at a disadvantage, the University’s Undergraduate Admission page reads. 

TOEFL and IELTS tests are optional if students are able to fulfill Columbia’s English Language Proficiency requirements in other methods.

Cornell University

In an April 22 statement, Cornell stated that students can submit applications without ACT or SAT test results beginning in August 2021, for both Early Decision and Regular Decision admission rounds. The writing portions of the ACT and SAT tests are not required.

Cornell was the first in the Ivy League to make this change regarding SAT and ACT testing. The update, however, is not a permanent change in the University's admissions policy. Whether students do or do not submit the test results, Cornell said it will place a higher emphasis on the non-testing elements of their applications. 

SAT Subject Tests are not required for students applying to any of Cornell’s undergraduate colleges during the upcoming admissions cycle. Subject Tests will not be considered at all, however, for applicants to the College of Engineering. In September 2019, Cornell’s Engineering school listed Subject Tests as “optional,” while all other Cornell colleges did not require them. 

Cornell will continue accepting and awarding credit for AP, IB, and A-Level exam scores. International applicants are required to submit official IELTS or TOEFL exam scores. 

All of the required scores must be officially reported to Cornell from the testing agency.

Dartmouth College

SAT Subject Test scores are optional for students applying to Dartmouth, and those who do not submit Subject Test scores will not be disadvantaged in the school’s admission process.

Potential applicants are required to submit either an SAT or ACT test score. The writing component of the ACT and the essay portion of the current SAT, however, are not required. 

Students are strongly encouraged to report AP or IB scores, and will be given credit if applicable. 

If an applicant’s first language is not English and their school curriculum is not delivered in English, Dartmouth requires submission of the TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo, or Cambridge C1/C2 test.

Harvard College  

In a ‘Special Message for High School Juniors,’ Harvard College said its applicants will not be disadvantaged if they do not submit SAT Subject Tests. 

Students are still required to submit either an SAT or ACT test score. The writing component of the ACT and the essay portion of the current SAT, however, are not required. Applicants may self-report their test scores or submit through the College Board or ACT testing agency, but admitted students are required to submit their official test scores prior to enrollment. 

It is optional for applicants to submit AP score results, which must be officially sent to the Harvard from the College Board. IB students should send their final scores to the university once released in mid-July, and A-level results should be sent by mid-August. 

Students applying to Harvard are not required to take an English proficiency exam such as the TOEFL or IELTS, but may submit scores if they choose to. 

Princeton University

Students applying to Princeton’s Class of 2025 are no longer recommended to submit SAT Subject Tests, and applicants who do not submit the tests will not be disadvantaged in the University’s admission process. 

Applicants are still required to submit SAT or ACT exam scores. The university's admissions office does not, however, expect applicants to take these exams more than once due to decreased testing opportunities. SAT and ACT scores must be officially reported to Princeton directly from the testing agencies.

Princeton’s academic departments are currently reviewing their credit policies for May 2020 AP tests due to the tests’ coverage and format changes. IB and A-level score submissions will only be used for placement purposes, according to the University’s statement to applicants. 

If English is not an applicant's native language or the primary language of their school curriculum, Princeton additionally requires submission of the TOEFL, IELTS Academic, or PTE Academic score. 

Yale University 

Yale will not consider any submitted SAT Subject Tests for first-year applicants, and the University’s Admissions Committee has advised applicants to the Class of 2025 to neither self-report nor send their Subject Test scores. 

SAT or ACT test scores are required to apply to the University. The writing portions of the ACT and SAT exams, however, are optional. 

Applicants may self-report their standardized test scores, but admitted students are required to submit their official test scores prior to enrollment. 

Students may self-report their AP, IB, or AICE exam test scores, though submitting is optional. 

“Yale does not expect students currently enrolled in academic-year courses associated with any of these tests to complete exams in spring or summer 2020,” the University’s ‘COVID-19 Information’ page reads. 

Those who are enrolled in IB and AICE curricula at the time of offered admission, however, are expected to complete and submit their exam results prior to enrollment. 

Submitting one of Yale’s listed English proficiency tests, the TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, Duolingo, or InitialView, is strongly recommended to students whose native language is not English, or who have not been instructed in English for two or more years in secondary school.

All comments eligible for publication in Daily Pennsylvanian, Inc. publications.