tom-wolf
Upon his endorsement of Joe Biden, Governor Tom Wolf cited a need for "strong leadership in the Oval Office." Credit: Son Nguyen

Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf endorsed former Vice President Joe Biden for President of the United States on Wednesday morning. 

In a May 27 livestream, Wolf announced his endorsement for Biden, stating he believes Biden is the best candidate to lead the country out of the coronavirus pandemic. Biden and Wolf discussed the reasoning behind the endorsement and how the coronavirus is impacting the U.S. 

“I’m proud to endorse Joe Biden for President because we desperately need strong leadership in the Oval Office,” Wolf said in a statement issued on May 27. 

Biden praised Wolf’s three-phased plan for reopening Pennsylvania, which is currently set to reopen all its counties to the second "yellow" phase by June 5, adding that it is something the U.S. should be doing on a national level. 

In addition to discussing the red, yellow, and green system of easing restrictions, Biden and Wolf talked about the importance of wearing masks, the almost 1.8 million unemployment claims in Pennsylvania, and why they believe more federal assistance is necessary.

“Now more than ever, Pennsylvania needs a partner in Washington,” Wolf said in a statement. “We need a champion for our working families, who can make quality health care and education accessible to all families, and won’t boost corporations and rich CEOs at the expense of middle-class people in our state."

Pennsylvania is expected to be an important swing state in the 2020 election for president after 1968 Wharton graduate Trump narrowly defeated Hillary Clinton in Pennsylvania in 2016. Pennsylvania was one of three states that tipped the election in favor of Trump.

At the end of the livestream, Biden said to Wolf, “If I become president, I promise I’ll have your back.”