pass-fail-grading-petition-explainer

Students who opt in to pass/fail grading from April 14 to April 29 must complete the Petition for Change of Grading Option.

Credit: Kylie Cooper

Wondering how to change your Spring 2020 courses to pass/fail? Here's how you can achieve that, by changing your grade type on Penn InTouch to filling out a separate petition form.

Students will be able to change courses to pass/fail by April 13 at 11:59 p.m. on Penn InTouch. For students who have not made a decision about pass/fail by April 13, the Office of the University Registrar has created a Petition for Change of Grading Option that students can fill out anytime from April 14 to April 29.

All petitions for pass/fail will be accepted and do not require a reason for the grade type change this semester, Executive Director of Education and Academic Planning Gary Purpura wrote in an email to The Daily Pennsylvanian.

“It is a petition only in the sense of a deviation from the usual procedure, but not in the sense of a special request that needs to be argued for and might be denied,” Purpura wrote. “A better way to think about this form is as a 'Change of grade type declaration’ form.”

Purpura wrote that in order for Penn InTouch to proceed with Fall 2020 advance registration and Summer 2020 registration, both of which begin on April 14, the system that allows students to change grade types for Spring 2020 courses must be shut down.

"With the extension of the Spring 2020 change of grade type deadline to April 29, and the decision to maintain the start date of April 14 for both Summer 2020 registration and Fall 2020 advance registration, we needed a way for students to change the grade type in Spring 2020 courses outside of Penn In Touch between April 14-29," Purpura wrote.

Following a student-led petition with over 3,000 signatures, Provost Wendell Pritchett announced on April 9 that Penn will extend the deadline to opt in to pass/fail grading from April 13 to April 29, the last day of spring semester classes.

Students can find more details about opting in to pass/fail for Spring 2020 on the Student Registration and Financial Services website.