wtrack-malizia

Senior high jumper Anna Peyton Malizia will look to impress in front of an international crowd this week at the Penn Relays.

Credit: Zach Sheldon

After a long-awaited return, it’s that time of year again.

Penn track will host the 125th Penn Relays at Franklin Field this week, running from Thursday until Saturday. Here are four key events you will not want to miss this weekend. 

College Men’s Distance Medley Championship of America Invitational — Friday 5:15 p.m. 

In this race, the Quakers and 12 other teams compete in a distance-based relay. Historically, Villanova tops the leaderboard in this event by a long shot with 25 victories, followed by Arkansas with 15. Penn sits in sixth place with five wins. 

Villanova took victory in the event last year, with the win largely secured by senior Casey Comber, who posted an individual time of just under four minutes to charge into the lead following significant deficit.

College Women’s High Jump Championship — Saturday 10 a.m.

This event is set to be an important competition for Penn, with the Red and Blue qualifying two jumpers. Senior Anna Peyton Malizia is the No. 4 seed, and junior Olivia Welsh is the No. 10 seed. 

South Carolina also plans to send two jumpers, including junior Lissa Labiche, the No. 1 seed. Last season, Labiche set a personal best at the Penn Relays, clearing 1.82 meters. Malizia took second place last year with a 1.78m personal-best mark, one which she has already topped this season. Penn freshman Claire Moreau will also compete in the high jump at 10 a.m. on Thursday.

“[Malizia] is one of the best in the country right now and is just on the cusp of breaking six feet, which would be awesome to see at our home track,” sophomore sprinter Camille Dickson said.

Credit: Ian Ong

Credit: Ian Ong

Credit: Ian Ong

USA vs. the World — Saturday 12:37 p.m.

The USA vs. the World events often draw a sizable international crowd, and they will start this year early Saturday afternoon. In the women’s sprint medley, the United States will compete against the The Bahamas, Canada, Guyana, Jamaica, and Kenya. The American men, who will send two squads to compete, the Red team and the Blue team, will be competing against Canada, Haiti, Jamaica, and Kenya. 

Women’s 4x400m Relay Championship of America — Saturday 2:13 p.m.

At the Penn Relays last season, Penn’s women broke their own record set previously that season in the 4x400-meters with a time of 3:36.52. Penn men’s track also holds an impressive record in this event, earning the second-most victories historically with 10, second only to Villanova’s 12. 

“This event closes out the meet with a bang, and often sees fierce competition,” Dickson said.