donald-stewart

Donald Stewart is the former associate dean of Penn's School of Arts and Sciences. (File Photo)

Penn’s former associate dean of the School of Arts and Sciences Donald Stewart died from a heart attack on April 7.

Stewart, who was 80, joined the Penn community in 1970 and had several roles during his time on campus. He first served as the executive assistant to former University president Martin Meyerson. Stewart was also a professor in public policy and city and regional planning. In 1975, he served as the associate dean of the School of Arts and Sciences and the College of Liberal and Professional Studies, and was an assistant to the provost. Stewart also worked in overseas development for the Ford Foundation.

After his time at Penn, Stewart served in a number of leadership positions. He became the sixth president of Spelman College from 1976 to 1986. He was then the president of the College Board until 1999, and served as a director of the New York Times Company from 1986 to 2005. Stewart was also an advisor to the president of the Carnegie Corporation of New York, and held the chief executive position of the Chicago Community Trust from 2000 to 2005. He was also on the board of Grinnell College and Campbell Soup Company.

From 2005 to 2011, Stewart was a visiting professor at the Harris School of Public Policy at the University of Chicago. And in 2010, President Barack Obama named him to the Commission on Presidential Scholars.

In honor of his death, the College Board will donate $100,000 to the Donald and Isabel Stewart Scholarship Fund at Spelman College, a fund that supports low-income students who want to attend the university.