key_matchups-01
Credit: Linda Ting

The spring seasons are rapidly unfolding, with tennis heading into Ivy play and the rowing and golf teams getting their seasons underway. Here are the key matchups this weekend for each of these teams.

Credit: Biruk Tibebe

Men's tennis doubles vs. Princeton

Both Penn men’s and women’s tennis will start their Ivy seasons against Princeton on Saturday.

The men’s team (16-5) will look to extend a four-game winning streak at Princeton. Despite being undefeated at home, the No. 48 team in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association rankings hasn’t looked stellar on the road, with a road record of 1-4. The matchup against a solid Princeton team (16-6) will be a great opportunity for the Red and Blue to prove they still have what it takes away from Penn.

The Tigers have lost two games in a row, but like the Quakers, they hold a perfect home record. Princeton seniors Ryan Seggerman and Damian Rodriguez are one of the best doubles duos in the nation and will make winning the doubles point difficult for the Red and Blue. The pair is tied for No. 26 in the nation. 

Both teams have been switching up their doubles lineups recently, but Penn senior Kyle Mautner and freshman Edoardo Graziani have played most often in the first doubles spot. If Seggerman and Rodriguez line up as the first doubles pair for Princeton, it would be fair to expect a compelling match.

At second doubles, juniors Max Cancilla and Robert Smithline have been consistent throughout the season, and based on the how well freshmen Kevin Zhu and Jonah Jurick have been playing lately, it wouldn't been surprising to see that rookie duo as Penn's third doubles pairing. 

The Quakers have repeatedly shown why they are a nationally ranked team and the reason they are among the favorites to win the Ivy League: They are clutch. This season, the team has faced 3-3 ties in seven different matches and won six of them. So even if Princeton puts up a tough match, the Quakers are still capable of winning its first Ivy contest.

Penn women's golf vs. the field

Penn women’s golf will travel to Winter Garden, Fla. to participate in the Harvard Invitational over the weekend.

The tournament features 54 holes in two days and gives the Quakers another opportunity to showcase their strengths. Last weekend, the team had a solid start to the spring season, placing third among the 14 teams in the William & Mary Intercollegiate.

Individually, junior Christina Park and freshman Mary Shin are poised to shine. Both had top-10 finishes in the last tournament and will look to continue their solid performances.

With the Ivy Championships approaching, the Red and Blue are also trying to prepare for League competitions. This weekend should also help the Quakers find their rhythm on the course and gain some confidence for the rest of the season.

Rowing vs. rust

This Saturday, both Penn men’s lightweight and heavyweight rowing will have their first meets of the spring season.

The lightweight team will compete against Delaware and MIT on the Schuylkill River, while the heavyweight team will travel to Boston for the Burk Cup against Northeastern. Both teams have been craving for competitions for more than five months, and they are looking forward to capitalizing on their hard work during the offseason to start their seasons on a strong note.

Penn women’s rowing, on the other hand, is anticipating another solid performance in the Doc Sea Invitational in Cherry Hill, N.J.

After grabbing two victories on the Schuylkill River last Saturday, the Quakers are not becoming complacent. Knowing that the competition will get tougher as the season progresses, the team is focusing on staying aggressive and composed in high pressure situations. This Saturday, the team will test its strength in the second meet of the season.