medhuntsman
Credit: Zach Sheldon

Administrators from the Perelman School of Medicine and Wharton Executive Education recently announced a joint leadership initiative in health care management medical professionals.

Entitled "Leadership in a New Era of Health Care," the program will offer its first four-day course in March 2019. The instructive sequence is open to high-level leaders in fields of medicine, including doctors, nurses, and academics, according to a Penn Medicine press release.

Participants must complete a short application and pay $6,500 for enrollment in the course.  

“Health care leaders today need a broader skill set: they must be strong negotiators, keen students of business, and have the emotional intelligence necessary to lead diverse teams who are evolving our approaches to patient-centric care and ensuring that our health systems continue to thrive in an era of some uncertainty for our field,” J. Larry Jameson, Medical School dean and vice president of the University of Pennsylvania for the Health System, told Penn Medicine News.

Faculty from both the Medical School and Wharton will lead the course, covering a variety of subjects including leadership, organizational culture, emotional intelligence, and negotiation. Throughout the program, participants will engage in lectures, small group discussions, panels, and simulations. 

Wharton Executive Education provides a number of leadership programs to executives on campus and online.

Wharton professor Sigal Barsade and Medical School professor and Vice Dean for Strategic Initiatives Caryn Lerman will serve as the program's academic directors. 

“Today’s academic medicine leaders and health care executives are highly knowledgeable and motivated,” Lerman said in the press release. “We’ve designed this program to leverage those qualities and arm them with the high-impact skills required to drive real change in the organizations they lead.”